Chapter 28- Isla

I'm supposed to be at home, sleeping.

"Settle down!" Mr Edwards shouts through his loudspeaker. He's the most powerful man in Dynisty, yet no one listens like they used to. It's gone past eleven, past curfew and my eyes droop with tiredness but I'd rather be here than back at home where I could be attacked. The night sky is darker than usual, since there's no moon so the streets lights are our only source of light. Only, most of them have been smashed by the raid so they were our only source of light.

The Edwards family, Doyer family and a couple other main Governors and I sit in the freezing cold on the balcony of the Governor's House. Below us is about 10,000 people, the whole of Dynisty, flooded around us in and out of the gate. The same is happening to the 100 other dwellings on Cynah.

A rebellion. Something we never fathomed would happen to our perfect world.

"I said, SETTLE DOWN!" this time, he bellows it through the loudspeaker. Matthew helps his pa to quieten the crowd but it doesn't work because they continue to shout and punch the air, chanting words out of protest. Getting angrier and angrier as we hold in the truth.

"We're going to get massacred soon," I tell Mr Doyer, who's sitting beside me. The wind howls, blocking most of my words and I wish I can just crawl back inside to my parents who are helping to guard the doors. "Like a revolution. Overthrow of the Governors."

"Maybe," is all he says. He hasn't said much since Brynn disappeared.

I watch the crowd but all I see are angry faces.

Then I spot my friends from hunting; Cynthia, Kaya, Robyn. Each recognisable face glows in the dark and I wish they would just blend in with the faceless. It' awkward now because I suddenly stopped hanging out with them a couple days ago. The truth was like a magnet, attracting me to Matthew and repelling me from my friends. Friends I actually like, friends I've grown up with.

Every person I know glows like a torch light amongst the crowd. Brad, Catharine, Dan, Theo, Mr Kepler, the Attah's, Daysha and Leon; eyes stare up at me, wondering what I'm doing up here, wondering why I'm with the Governors instead of protesting with them.

I look away, trying to avoid eye contact with anyone, especially Leon and Daysha, our old instructors. Although young, they were like parents to us, teaching, helping, training, encouraging and raising us up to be heroic and strong and fearless. But now, I sit with the Governors, looking down at them, not what they raised me to be. And I know they're disappointed of us. West, Noah and I were the last on their list to disappoint them.

And I caused all of this.

"This isn't going to work," Mr Edwards gives up and turns to us. "How is it going with the other dwellings?"

Another Governor shakes her head. "No improvement." she shrugs, making her laptop and communication device in her ear wobble. "Governors say they've been swarmed like us."

The lines on Mr Edwards' forehead thicken and he nods slowly in thought. "This calls for action." My eyes widen just as he pulls out his gun.

"NO!" I scream but he aims at the sky and shoots, rather than at the crowd. I relax as the crowd falls deathly silent because none of them are armed themselves.

"Thank you," Mr Edwards says, through his loud speaker. He regains his composure, straightening his tie and Matthew goes to stand by him, grinning from ear to ear. "Now, I can understand why you are all out tonight, past curfew, rather than being in your compounds, sleeping like a civilised dwelling would."

A couple shouts break out from that but they only last for a second or two.

"And I'm sure a couple days ago, many of you would have seen the live message on the Tv billboard by the four young adults, including Miss Doyer, conveying that there are extra-terrestrials living amongst us. Also, you would have witnessed the same act at the Dwelling Ensemble."