Chapter Three - Assbutt

"Are you done yet?"

"Hush, young one, I am part taking in the 'Popin' of the Tabs'."

She rolled her eyes at him, laughing when he received a dirty look from one of the workers. Wen and Levi were in their local thrift shop, 'Thrift On.'. The two of them came here all the time, looking for cool, out dated clothing to wear of Twin Day at school.

That day was coming up soon, so they had to be prepared.

Levi had this thing with, instead of just finding matching t-shirts and hats, he wanted them to be elaborate. For some reason.

"What do you think about this one?" He asked, holding up a t-shirt with faded puzzle pieces that was three sizes to big for him. Which probably meant he'd make her wear it as a dress.

Wen wrinkled her nose up at him, shaking her head. "It's kind of ugly."

"Kinda like yo-"

"Don't even." She smacked his shoulder. "Jokes like those aren't funny."

Levi rolled his eyes. "You know I'm joking."

...

"Can we sing 'Aw Poor Bird'?"

"No, we need to sing 'I Love the Mountains!"

Wen was sitting in the choir room, listening to girls yell back and fourth about what song they wanted to sing. It was like this every day, unless they were learning songs for a concert or having a "Free Sing".

She wasn't in choir, no, Wen didn't think she could sing if her life depended on it. Wen was the Chorus teacher's student assistant. Reading was her thing. It did help to know how to play piano, though, so she could help out that way.

Sometimes, when Mrs. Chord (how convenient) needed help she had this one guy come down and help too, his name is Jensen.

He smelled like Axe. It was kind of suffocating.

"Alright, class, I want you to put your hands together, like you're praying." Mrs. Chord said, straightening her posture and making the gesture as if she were praying. Everyone obeyed, the chit-chat slowly disappearing.

"Now, bring your hands back, make your chest wide and open! Doesn't that feel good? Like you're ready for the day, ready to sing?"

People hummed their responses, just wanting to get on with the class.

Mrs. Chord was a good teacher, but a bad at being disciplinary. She was also just sort of happy all the time, making being stuck in class for forty-five minutes more bearable. She was a little chubby, and kind of old (Wen doesn't know how old she is, exactly.), with medium-length blonde hair and a few grey streaks.

She almost always wore long skirts with a really pretty pattern on them and some sort of clip in her hair. You can tell she loved what she did, sometimes class would just halt so that she could tell stories about her musical past to the class.

"Make it an E sound- a little higher, there you go! Hit that top note, Sopranos, you're falling flat!"

Wen watched as class went on, occasionally looking down at her book. It was hard to read with such heavenly voices filling the air. Right now, it was the All Girls choir, so the lack of bass in the room was a little painful.

It was funny when Concert Choir was going on, because the only thing you could pay attention to is Levi and his bellowing, low voice. Mrs. Chord loved having him in here, 'He's such a talented musician.'' She'd tell her.

And then she'd wonder why Wen refused to join choir, but stuck around and helped her through all the classes.

'It sounds pretty.'