Chapter Two: New Town

On Your Side

Chapter Two:

New Town

y m i r s m i t h

Groaning, I pushed myself out of my new bed and didn't bother to make it as I made my way to the bathroom that was next to my room. This room was also made completely from wood, this while damn house was a tree massacre. Muttering under my breath, I began to run the water in the antique bath that was slightly cracked.

"For fuck's sake Erwin, couldn't you at least have bought a more modern bath?" I complained to myself as I bolted the door shut just so Seiba couldn't mindlessly walk in on me like she often did. Damn girl doesn't know where she is half the time. Finally, the off-white bath filled while steam from the boiling hot water covered the room in a thick, white mist. Taking off my clothes, I slipped into the clear water and closed my eyes.

----

"You're up early," the old man greeted me, not turning round from the stove as I sat down at the table in the kitchen. Swinging my legs out and crossing them, I flung my arm on the back of the chair while leaning back to look at the bushy browed man.

"Hell of a greeting for your daughter," I countered, rolling my head slightly to try and see his reaction. He simply frowned and shot me a glare. Still no satisfying reaction... Annoyed, I huffed out a sigh and let my head droop forward. What was the point in getting up?

"Go wake your sister," Erwin interjected my thoughts. "We'll be leaving for town in a little while," with that he placed three places of some kind of food on the table while I shoved myself off the chair and made my way to Seiba's new room. Without knocking, I entered the room and noticed it was just like mine - a queen sized bed, chestnut wardrobe and a massive window. Seeing the sleeping girl curled up in a cocoon of blankets so only her right eye was showing, I poked her gently under her thick eyelashes that casted shadows across her high cheekbones in hopes to wake her up. Her depressing music was playing from a small docking station set in the bedside cabinet, filling the air lightly with noise. God knows the girl couldn't stand complete and utter silent; strange for a girl that hardly speaks.

When she didn't stir, I grabbed the edge of her blankets she wrapped herself in and yanked them with all my might towards me, making the sleeping girl roll off the bed and land on the hard, cold floor with a slight thud. Peering over the bed, I saw Seiba curling in on herself from the loss of warmth while her eye slowly drifted open and shut. Dusting my hands together, I left the room with the groaning sloth as she gradually woke up.

----

Seiba prodded into the front room without saying anything as Erwin was getting the car ready. I sat on one of the sofas waiting for the still half asleep girl who wore her signature oversized hoodie. Scoffing in impatience, I grabbed her by the hood and dragged her outside in the bright, summery weather that made both of us blink to get use to it.

"Get in," I snarled while shoving her roughly into the back but not hard enough to hurt her. She mumbled under her breath before taking out her iPod and immersing herself in the music world. Following suit, I plopped myself in the seat next to her as Erwin raised an bushy eyebrow at me in the rearview mirror. Shrugging, I ignored his glance before turning my gaze out the window to the beckoning trees outside.

----

Maria City was just a small town, not really living up to the name city. We passed several fields of crops and livestock before we eventually drew close to a cluster of buildings.

"Couldn't you have bought a house closer to town?" I mumbled, questioning Erwin's choice for the second time that morning.

"Because nothing was available nearer here," he countered plainly, not taking his cold, azure eyes off the road as he parked in a car park and said we had to go further in the rural town on foot.