An Affair with the Law (Ivy Blanchard)

A week went by after that strange day in Oakton. I was worried about Charlie after his abrupt departure, but I must admit it was a very Charlie thing to do. He never seemed to stay put for very long. I’ll confess that I was a bit distracted for a while afterwards and I scolded myself for acting in such a foolish way. It’s not as if Charlie cared for me in any way beyond satisfying his carnal needs. I was more than likely one of several women that crossed paths with him in such a way on a regular basis.

A heat wave followed and slowed business down a bit. I was sitting at a table on a blistering Saturday evening when the Sheriff walked in. He wasn’t a habitual customer at the saloon, and when he was reaching for his money, it was only for a stiff drink. The rest of the girls eyed the door, waiting for a customer to stroll in.

Even as the sun was setting in the distance, the air remained humid. They, like myself, looked far from the best. With sweat pouring from every nook and cranny and clogging every pore, we didn’t present the most alluring picture. A letter from my mother was my only relief as my wrist flopped back and forth in an attempt to cool my sweltering brow.

I was a bit surprised when Sheriff Ross approached me. He was relatively new to town, his predecessor having been killed in the war. It had to have been about a year and a half since he to the position. We had all expected some crude old man to waltz into town, throwing the book at us and closing down the saloon for its illicit affairs.

That’s why we were surprised to find this handsome young man to walk in and introduce himself. He was easy going and enjoyed a good laugh every now and then. He knew most of the townspeople by name at this point, and most of the townsfolk treated him like family. His looks did nothing to discourage them, either. He was of average height with dark hair and dark eyes, but he had a fierceness to him that could be seen from a mile away. While he looked a bit on the weak side, I have been witness to encounters that prove otherwise. He can handle more than his fair share if the occasion calls for it.

“Is this seat taken?” The sheriff asked me.

“Not at all, Sheriff.” I told him with what I hoped was a welcoming smile. To tell the truth, the heat makes me a bit crass.

He pulled out a chair and sat down with a puff of air expelling from his lungs. “It’s a hot one out.”

I nodded absentmindedly. “Sure is. Hope the weather breaks soon. We could use some rain.” I watched Cherry polish the bar as she watched the door. Everyone was hoping for customers.

Thankfully, a group of men walked in. I didn’t recognize any of them, but they appeared to be looking for a good time. They’d found the right place. Instantly, all of us were on our feet, hoping to cash in on one of them. I made to move towards them when I felt the sheriff’s hand on my own.

His face was twisted into a confused look that made me take my seat again.

“Is there something bothering you, Sheriff?”

He fiddled with his shot glass for a moment before leaning in. I leaned in as well as the noise rose significantly around us.

“Listen, Ivy. It’s not customarily accepted for a man of my position to do this, but I was hoping we could…talk.”

I knew what he meant. He didn’t want to talk. He wanted a roll in the hay. I nodded and extended my hand to him. After downing his drink he took my hand and we stood up. As we ascended the stairs I saw him look back over his shoulder. He had nothing to worry about; no one was watching.

As we laid there in the bed, I felt my body flush when I realized what had just happened. The sheriff out of all people was lying naked next to me. It’d been good, that was for sure. He wasn’t like Charlie or Johnny. He had seemed so…so attached. Like that moment was the only thing he cared for in the world at that moment.