Random one-shot

The sound of crying woke him up.

Grillby and Gaster had been living together for a while now, maybe a year after monsters were introduced to human kind and the surface after many decades of living Underground.

It was a normal occurrence for Gaster to have nightmares, through the years they had gotten better, but. . He did still have his nights. This night seemed to be one of them.

A few days before monsters were released into the surface, human Frisk had somehow found a way to free Gaster, and the other monsters trapped in the void. No one remembered any of them, this truly saddened the soon-to-be ambassador. This didn't bother the forgotten scientists nearly as much as it bothered the human child. They were just happy to be free once again.

Sometimes, even on the surface, Gaster had nightmares of the void. This saddened the elemental, he wanted to help Gaster get better. But, to do that, he needed to know the full story Gaster would never allow himself to tell the bartender. Though, Grillby would never push the previous scientist to tell him something unwillingly.

Groggily, the elemental got into a sitting position at the edge of the bed. He put on his glasses, and looked back ton the other side. Gaster wasn't there. . Maybe he went somewhere else? The crying had quieted considerably, though, it was still there, and it sounded far too close.

Confused, Grillby looked around, trying to find any trace of Gaster. That was until his gaze landed on a corner of the bedroom. On that corner was a blanket covering a huddled form, and a quite inconspicuous smudge of black slime stained the floor right in front of the blanket. Sighing, the elemental got up from the bed, walking over to the dark corner.

Grillby sat cross-legged next to the blanket-covered monster, his flames burned low, yet still warm. The flaming bartender could make out several distorted sounds of static, though, he ha no idea what the scientist was saying. Slowly, Grillby pulled the blanket from his boyfriend's face, his soul nearly shattering at the sight. Gaster had his face buried in his floating, skeletal hands, still sobbing, the slimy substance that created his body was shaking violently, distorted static as quiet as could be.

For a moment, Grillby's flames grew in alarm as he saw Gaster's phalanges digging into the large crack on the right side of his skull. Quick to act, the fire elemental pulled the scientist's hands away form his skull as to not let any damage come to the skeleton. Shyly, Gaster turned his skull to look at Grillby. There were a few translucently violet tears coming from the skeleton's eye sockets, the functioning socket devoid of the usual white pinprick, Gasters common smile was shaky, leaning more into a frown.

The bartender was fast to cradle the scientist in his arms, not so much as flinching when the cold slime touched his flames. Gaster continued to sob into the elemental's shirt, frantic static replaced with a river of tears. Finally, after what seemed to be hours, the two monsters peacefully fell asleep, not giving a damn about the unstoppable pain that would come from sleeping on the floor the next morning, the pair decided to simply enjoy each other's company.

___________________________

Yeah, so, as to make up for not being here for a while, I made one of my first one-shots! A slightly long one, but a one-shot none the less.

Anyways, have a lovely day/night, goodbye dearies~