Chapter 3

Jake takes a small bite and almost immediately spits it out. "Paint. They're playing with us. I can't eat the paper if it's covered in acrylic paint." He's scowling as Muna hands him a glass of water to wash away the taste. But the question still remained- who is playing with us?

"We'll have to keep this for another time. For now, Mom, give us more information." Though his tone was more commanding than loving I saw Ayda's face light up at his comment.

"Okay then, I'll give you some information about our little town. As you know Brady Lake has a population of about 400 people. Almost everyone is in one of the four gangs. In the gang world, our town is called "the color compass" because of our four gangs, each starting with a color. These gangs are the Purple Scars, the Golden Scales, the Black Bones, and the last one no one really cares about. It's thought to be out of action but again no one cares. The Purple Scars are very close with both the Golden Scales and the Black Bones but the Golden Scales hates the Black Bones. No fights have happened between the two but with their new leaders, you never know."

"New leaders, what do you mean?" I ask.

" You know that Kizuato came into power, don't you? Every gang changes power at around the same time. And strangely enough, they're all high school boys."

"So, what exactly do you want to do?"

" Multiple things. First of all, I want to find out why he wants all of those weapons. Second, we have to stop him from giving the members that poison. And finally, the thing I haven't told you guys yet. He killed my husband."

"What? No, Dad died because of cancer." Muna spoke slowly like she was talking to a kindergartener. 

"He did have cancer. But I also found out that Kaulas, our leader, poisoned his I.V drip to kill him quicker. He needed me for whatever he's planing so he killed my distraction. All he needed to add was little cyanide and for no one to see him for around ten minutes to kill him. I know because I found the doctor's file in his drawer." She gritted her teeth as rage took over her eyes.  I can imagine how she must feel, this gang leader killed someone she loved. Yeah, I can imagine the feeling too well.

"We know. Well, we knew about the cyanide, we just didn't know who put it in there. But he didn't eliminate us. How did he know we wouldn't distract you?" August asked looking the most vulnerable I had ever seen him. He looked right and left before settling on his mother. I could tell he didn't want to seem like he cared but his nervous glances gave him away. 

"I-I don't know," She whispered guiltily," I don't know how I forgot, August." Her eyes her wracked with pain and guilt. I knew she was beating herself up inside. She bowed her head down and couldn't look at her son in his eyes. August had never looked so sad.

Jake, Daniel, and I looked from Ayda to August to Muna and then at each other. We had no part in this conversation. I couldn't help but feel like I shouldn't be hearing all of this. But then August's face became devoid of all emotion as he said, "So we need to get close to him and find out about the weapons and both poisons. I'm guessing you want proof to send him to jail. But how are we supposed to get into the gang?"

"Well, that's where I come in." My head whips around to see a man around my age leaning against the doorway. Before I know what I'm doing I've taken a dagger out of Muna's pocket (one of her many) and am holding it at his neck.

"Woah, there. That's no way to greet a guest," He grins and gently but firmly grips my wrist and moves it away," Don't worry I just want to help."

I step away cautiously as everyone moves to my side. "Explain," I command.

"Rude," He sighs and I scowl," You can call me, Z.  I can get you into the gang and give you advice about how to act in his gang so you're not found out."

"Why would you help us?" Jake asks

" I hate the Black Bones as much as you guys and I want revenge. Plus I want something from you, Auralia. I'll tell you about it later" He turned to look me directly in the eyes. "So, what do you say?" He was talking to all of us but he only looked at me.

I turned to look at everyone. Jake gave me a shrug that said 'Why not?' Daniel shook his head rapidly and Muna glared at him and nodded her head. August looked like he doubted the guy's motives so I took that as a no. And Ayda just looked at me leaving the decision entirely to me. 

Was I really going to trust someone I had just met, maybe two minutes ago? That didn't sound like it would end well. But we might actually need his help."Fine, we'll work with you."

"Good. But sadly the one thing I don't have is information on Kaulas. No worries though, I know someone who can help. You know him well too."