Chapter 4

I haven't been out of been in exactly nine days.

My mom has been trying to get me out of bed, but it hurts too much to move.

My heart hurts.

I showed my mom and the police the letter, and they brought Kaylyn over.

His last words to me keep running through my mind.

I love you.

"Look where we are now Dave!" I yell to my ceiling.

Tears roll down my cheeks and I curse at them.

"Nicole?" I hear from my door.

I look over and see my mom holding Kaylyn and a small wrapped box.

"Can you watch the baby? I need to go to work. I haven't gone in eight days." She says, stepping in closer.

"It is what he would have wanted." I whisper, more to myself than her.

For the first time in over a week, I sit up in bed and take the baby from my mom.

"Go to work. I can handle her." I tell my mom quietly.

She hesitates, but finally steps out of my room and shuts the door.

"Hi baby." I say in my nicest voice.

She lifts her hand and waves at me by opening and closing her hand.

"You have your daddy's eyes." I tell her, and the tears start rolling down my cheeks again.

Her hand comes up and she touches my cheek, wiping my tears away.

I hug her, tighter than I have ever hugged anyone.

Tighter than I have ever hugged Dave.

"I love you." I tell her.

I don't know why, but I really love this kid.

"Wuv you too mummy." She whispers in my ear.

Fresh tears begin rolling down my cheeks.

Tears of joy.

Dave's flesh and blood just told me she loved me.

And she called me mommy.

I sniffle and wipe me nose on the back of my hand.

"Real attractive, huh?" I say, slightly laughing.

She smile and pulls on my hand.

I push the blanket off of me and pick her up.

"Are you hungry?" I ask her, opening my door.

She holds her nose and makes a nasty face at me.

"Yeah, I know. I haven't taken a shower in nine days." I tell her laughing.

We go downstairs and into the kitchen, I sit her down on the table.

"I haven't eaten hardly anything lately. What do you want?" I ask her, not really expecting an answer.

She shrugs her shoulders and I laugh a little before putting some water in a pot to boil.

"Macaroni it is." I tell her, smiling.

She giggles and I jump over to her, acting like a kangaroo.

The giggles get louder and I laugh along with her.

"You remind me of your daddy so much." I tell her, and turn back to the stove to avoid crying again.

This is the first time I have laughed since I left him standing there, waving goodbye to me.

I pour the noodles into the water and turn down the heat.

"It will be done soon honey." I say.

I turn around and see her playing with a fork.

"Kaylyn, you can't play with that sweetie." I say and rush to take it from her.

She makes a sad face at me and starts to cry.

"Shhhhhh, it's okay." I whisper and pick her up, cradling her to my chest.

The poor thing stops crying and wiggles to get out of my arms.

Hurriedly, I sit her in the new high chair and turn to the noodles.

I take the noodles off just before they started to stick to the bottom and ruin.

In goes the milk, and the butter, and lastly, the cheese sauce.

I make a bowl for Kaylyn, and then a bowl for myself.

I sit down at the table and sit her on my lap.

She sees the food.

A smile spreads across her face and she reaches for the bowl.

We sit there and eat until it is all gone.

"Time to take a bath!" I say excitedly and clap my hands together.

She giggles and claps back at me.

I toss our dishes in the sink and pick her up, swinging her around, before taking the steps to my bedroom.

My mom must have brought Kaylyn's clothes into my room while I was still going through my extreme grieving process, because I just now noticed they were in a small pink dresser beside my dresser.

I wonder how she managed to squeeze that in here without me noticing. In the top drawer, is her panties, socks, and pull-ups. The second contained shirts and pants. And in the third, was dresses and shorts and skirts.

"Are you ready to get into the bath?" I ask Kaylyn, sitting a pair of pants and a shirt and a pull up on the sink. She nods and I help her undress. We get into the bath together and I wash us both.

When we get out, she sniffs my armpit. "Do I smell better?" I ask her, laughing like a hyena. She just nods and giggles along with me. "Do you want to take a nap now? You look pretty tired." I tell her, watching her yawn and fight to keep her eyes open.

That is when I realized something.

This kid is mine.

What the hell am I supposed to do with a kid at 16?

I look down at the baby in my arms and kiss her forehead. "You are mine now." I tell her and lay down in the bed with her. "She is mine now." I whisper up to the ceiling, as if talking to someone.

As if talking to Dave.

A/N; Ohhh the feels. I am gonna end up taking you guys to Feeladelphia. AHHHHH WHY DAVE WHY???? Kaylyn is so amazing..I have never actually been around a baby so don't hate me for making it unrealistic. I honestly tried my best. Dave is making me cry right now omg. Okay I have to go -sniffle- write some more..maybe make Nicole happy again. Okay guys, vote, comment, and read on.

~Kat</3