14. LONELY

It had been a rough eight months for Eva and her unborn child – whom she named Marlene, not being aware of the gender. She'd failed at her abortion attempt, which caused her to be under strict surveillance by the guards, also including her 'suicide attempt' where she'd cut off the skin on her wrist.

Even though Terrell was responsible, nobody would believe her, thinking she was making the whole thing up in order to gain back her privileges. The power she once (somewhat) held over the nurses and Ross was stripped away from her, causing her to become another psychotic patient whom nobody believed.

All the hope Eva once had regarding her escape was lost in the fact that she was going to be permanently spend the rest of her years wasting away in the isolated island, locked from the part of the world she once longed for. Not having Terrell around made things more difficult for her. She grew accustomed to dumping her emotional baggage onto the man.

Her check up with Mr. Holloway was today – only a month away from delivering. Although Eva had tried almost every method of getting rid of the child, the bump kept growing larger by each passing month, leaving her with the choice of keeping her child, something she wasn't too keen on doing, but knew the institute left her no other option.

"Good Morning, Miss Richards," Mr. Holloway greeted as the woman shuffled into Ross' office, accompanied by none other than Nurse Grace.

She meekly replied by offering the man a smile, feeling the baby inside of her draining her of all the energy she once had. Eva took a seat next to him, waiting for Ross - who sat adjacent to the two - to divert his attention from the busy note taking.

"Alright, we're all here." Ross sighed, finishing off the document with his signature and placing it in the 'OUT' folder tray. "Right, so we're here to talk about Miss Richards' pregnancy and the conditions surrounding them."

Eva leaned back in her chair, her hazel eyes being too heavy to keep up with the conversation, no matter how important it may have been.

"I was requested by Nurse Grace Goldberg to be providing Miss Richards' with a better room and diet due to her pregnancy," Ross began, standing up to make his way over to the file cabinet, where he retrieved a manila colored file marked 'RICHARDS, EVA'. He walked back to his seat, bringing out the related documents regarding the nurse's request to be given specialized treatment.

"As you can see, Mr. Holloway," Ross handed him the financial report. "Giving Miss. Richards the specialized treatment has costed us over $40,000, and that's only for the food alone."

Eva's eyes glazed over at Ross, frowning at the ridiculous statement he was making.

"This also includes specialized medication which will help Miss Richards with the mental illness she's been diagnosed with, but will also not cause harm to the child."

Mr. Holloway's white brows furrowed in concentration, his fingers pushing up the tender gold frame of his eyeglasses as it slipped down his upturned nose.

"Therefore, I hate to be the one to say but, we can no longer treat this patient with the specialized treatment she requires." He pursed his lips, his face translating pity upon both the patient and child – however, Eva could see through his act.

She knew Ross was envious – God knows what about, but she knew he was. Whether it was about sleeping with Terrell, or bearing his child, Ross' fragile ego wouldn't let him choose the morally right option.

Mr. Holloway nodded his head, returning the document. He looked over to Eva, pity plastered across his face, seeming somewhat genuine.

"I'm so sorry, Miss. Richards. But you are just one month from delivering, I'm sure the impeccable care Dr. McKee has showered you and the child with won't impact the one month without the specialized treatment."

She had no say in the matter, knowing whatever she decided, Ross would attempt to take it away from her, or convince Mr. Holloway that she was not capable of receiving said treatment. Eva accepted her fate, nodding at Mr. Holloway's question.

"Perfect." Ross responded, signing off the cancellation form regarding Eva's treatment. "I'll have this filed in the following days, meanwhile Ms. Richards can resume her standard privileges." He added a light grin when speaking, kissing the man's ass at every angle he could.

Nurse Grace held onto the woman's shoulders, lifting her up as her bump began to cause her immense pain, the child inside contracting. She wondered what would hurt more, having contractions every day, or just slamming herself into the wall until the child passed away.

She was deep in thought, not realizing she'd already arrived in her very bland and mundane looking room. It consisted of a basic single bed which was covered with a thick white blanket and pillow. There was no side table or bathroom, only a bucket which she'd already figured out the reason for.

Eva sat down, sighing in relief as she felt the bed's mattress, although less plump than her previous one – this was the best she was getting. After all, she wouldn't be sleeping on a concrete ground while the winds caused her to shudder in her sleep.