Chp. 53| The Wrong Crowd

~Third Person POV~

Scourge, having become bored without his real friends around, had rejoined Manic and Fleetway.

Now, they sat in a large circle with a large group of boys. They had started a game of Would you Rather?, and it was going okay so far. Although, Manic had to choose between streaking through a mall or being attacked by a bear, and Scourge had to choose between never showering again or wearing a dress in front of his friends.

After it had gone to a few more boys, the attention was on Fleetway.

"Alright, Fleetway," one boy began, "Would you rather get a million dollars right now, or get to be with your crush?"

One of the other boys snorted. "Well, duh. He'd choose the second one."

Fleetway became defensive. "Well, how would you know?"

"Dude, you caught a rat, a creepy rodent, for that oh, so pretty girl in the sweater and miniskirt."

"Oh, is that your girlfriennnnd?" the first boy asked.

Fleetway blushed wildly and stuttered as many of the group laughed. "N-No. She's just a friend."

"Yeah, right. I saw how happy you were when Scourge said that she liked your present. You couldn't stop smiling. I bet you just can't wait to have some sweet alone time and give her a big, fat kiss."

"Wha- Mystic? No way. She's a complete weirdo. I'd rather lick the bathroom floor than kiss her."

As soon as Fleetway said those words, he wanted to punch himself in the face. Repeatedly. How could he have said something like that about Mephiles, his best friend in the whole world? Why would he do that?

Even Scourge and Manic were in shock.

"Fleetway... are you serious..?" Manic asked.

"I thought you and Me- I mean, Mystic, were inseparable." Scourge added.

A boy spoke up, looking opposite of where Fleetway was, "Well, he can tell her exactly how he feels right now."

Fleetway was confused, then realized. He turned around, and there he was.

Mephiles. And he'd definitely heard Fleetway.

"This can't be good." Manic said quietly.

Mephiles's feelings were far beyond hurt. He felt betrayed. He only wanted to crawl into a hole and cry and cry.

Instead, he gave Fleetway a glance, shook his head in lingering disbelief, and walked out the front door.

Punching himself in the face now seemed like a minor punishment. Fleetway now felt he deserved a brick wall thrown at him. He wanted to cry, but didn't feel like he had the right.

"Fleetway, what're you waiting for? Go after him!" Scourge said.

Fleetway nodded and ran off.

He ran outside, but Mephiles had disappeared. Fleetway couldn't even smell him.

It took a while of running around, but after some thinking, Fleetway finally remembered where Mephiles used to go when he was extremely upset.

The roof of the orphanage.

Fleetway was determined to find him. When he saw the building with the large Miss Bull's Home For Boys sign, he quickly found the ladder leading to the roof and started climbing.

He was relieved to see is Mo Mo sitting on the very top. He felt guilty to see that his best friend was crying.

"Mephiles...?" Fleetway called out. He reached to hug Mephiles, "I know you're mad at me, and I don't blame you, but if you just let me explain-"