Chapter 3

Kevin's POV:

I stared at the outlet in the wall in front of me, trying to resist the urge to touch it, to absorb the electricity inside.

I hadn't released the energy from Vilgax's beam before I got knocked out. And now, I couldn't. I loved the powerful feeling it gave me too much.

It made me hungry for more.

My hand reached out, and I instantly scolded myself. Stupid! Control yourself! Don't do this! You can't! But it's so...

My hands snapped out to grab a screwdriver, which I used to pry off the white cover, exposing the colored wires inside.

In sudden desperation, I ripped a clump of them out of their sockets and held the warm metal with my bare hands, sucking the electricity into my body.

It just felt so... exhilarating.

The lights began to flicker, as a result of me trying to absorb too much of the electricity at once.

I didn't want to stop, but then I thought of Gwen; what she'd think of this, what happened the last time I'd gone crazy from absorbing power, the last time I turned into a monster.

My hands opened and let go of the wires, leaving them to hang out of the rectangular hole in the wall.

Ugh you're so stupid! You idiot!

-

"Hey Kevin, are you there?" It was Gwen, contacting me with her Plumbers badge.

I sighed, and grabbed my badge to bring it close to my mouth, dreading the conversation.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Well, I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

"I am," I said, annoyed. I thought I asked her to leave me alone?!

"Don't lie to me Kevin!"

"I'm not."

"Yes you are! I saw you the other day, and you were definitely not okay." Her tone had suddenly grown soft and worried.

I wanted to tell her everything that had happened when I'd been captured, but I didn't want her to see me differently, as a monster, especially since I didn't know if I could control my thirst for energy.

"Whatever," I mumbled and hung up.