Chapter 5

Kevin's POV:

I rang the doorbell, and heard the sound resonate inside. A moment later, a slim woman with blonde hair opened the door.

"Oh, hello Kevin," she greeted, smiling.

"Hey Mrs. Tennyson. Is Ben here?"

"No actually, he's out with Julie right now." Julie was his girlfriend. "Would you like me to take a message?"

"Uh, well... it's kind of personal. When do you think he'll be back?"

"Oh, I don't think they'll be gone too long. Would you like to wait for him inside?" She opened the door wider.

"Sure, thanks." I came into the house, and attempted a grateful smile before finding a spot on the couch.

"Are you alright, Kevin? Your skin is really dark around your eyes," she observed in a motherly way.

I suddenly became aware of the marks that she was referring to, the kind of marks that Osmosians got when they absorbed energy. Crap.

"Oh, I'm fine. Just tired."

"Ah, alright."

I discreetly took electricity from the lamp once she had left.

-

Ben and Julie came in the front door, laughing, cups in their hands.

"Oh, hey Kevin," Ben said when his gaze fell on me.

"Hey. Um... can I talk to you?" I felt awkward, since I was about to ask him for help, which I almost never did. I almost never asked anyone for help in general.

"Yeah, sure," he answered, but he stayed standing near Julie. He looked slightly confused. Maybe he could see my desperation.

My nerves itched for more energy, but I tried to ignore it.

Why does he have to be so stupid sometimes?!

"Privately, Tennyson?" There was an edge to my voice that I unconsciously added.

"I can go," Julie said kindly, her voice soft and sweet.

She was a slim girl of Japanese descent, with jaw-length black hair and brown eyes. She wore a white mini skirt, a black tee shirt, and a pink hoodie with pockets that her hands rested in casually.

"You sure, Julie?" Ben asked her. He probably didn't want her to leave. He was probably afraid that I was gonna pound him, or something, though I wasn't.

"Yes, it's alright. I bet you guys have to talk about saving the world again anyways." There was a slight sigh in her voice.

I felt bad. It seemed like whenever she tried to spend time with Ben, he ended up having to leave to go fight aliens or something.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Ben."

The door shut quietly behind her.

After she left, Ben questioned,"So what did you want to tell me?"

"Let's get to your room first," I said, walking past him. He didn't say anything. Maybe he was curious about my secrecy.

"Okay, now what did you want to tell me?" I glanced at the shut door, swallowing nervously.

"Okay... you know when Gwen asked me what Vilgax did to me, and I said that it didn't matter?" My toes tapped the ground nervously. "Well it did. He... he forced me to absorb energy, and, now I can't stop..."

I found my gaze continuously flicking back to the Omnitrix on Ben's wrist, the thing that held so much power.

"And that's why you're avoiding Gwen," he said finally in realization.

"I'm a monster. I'm struggling to control myself. I don't want to end up hurting her again." I couldn't meet his eyes.

This was so weird, having a vulnerable conversation with Tennyson.

"Well... can't you just stop absorbing energy?" He asked. Why is he such an idiot?!

"I can't just... stop. It's like an addiction. Once you start, it's almost impossible to quit."

Omnitrix. Lamp. Computer. Phone. Outlet. Omnitrix. Gwen.

There was a knock at the door.

"Ben? Can I come in?" It was a girl's voice. I groaned quietly.

"Uh, I'm kinda busy right now," Ben answered.

"But it's really important..."

I searched for a place to hide.

The door swung open slowly as Gwen came in, looking at a laptop in her hands. I slid behind the open door, my back pressed against the wall.

"I think I might've found Vilgax," she said.

She showed him whatever was on her computer, and he snuck me a glance, questioning what to do. I frantically motioned back towards Gwen, who was looking over at him.

"Ben?" She said.

"Sorry, you were saying?"

As she continued, I fidgeted, uncomfortable stiff. My foot stubbed the door, emitting the sound of a thump.

I held my breath as Gwen's voice grew quiet. Stupid. Stupid!

In the blink of an eye, the door swung shut, and Gwen was facing me with an energy disk positioned to throw.

An energy disk.

"Kevin?" She lowered her arms, confused.

I could almost feel her energy. Feel it entering my body. Feel it's power.

She asked me something, but I could only focus on her power. Something in the back of my mind fought for attention, but I didn't know what it was.

I grabbed her wrist, and began absorbing. She had so much energy in her. I needed more.

Both of them were screaming at me. I could almost hear myself sigh. Gwen was trying to break free of my grip, but I was stronger. And she wouldn't use her powers, not on me.

I was interrupted by someone large tackling me to the ground. Tennyson had transformed into one of his aliens. I growled at him in frustration, and charged, but his huge, rough hands prevented me from getting to the Anodite.

Gwen, I remembered. Her name is Gwen.

I backed up suddenly, my eyes wide. Gwen is my girlfriend.

"Gwen..." I whispered. "I'm so sorry." Her eyes were blurry with tears, and her arm had a red mark from where I'd grabbed her.

I opened the door, and ran.