Chapter 7

Gwen's POV:

I searched the Internet yet again. It had become my nightly routine. While Ben had been looking for Vilgax these past weeks, I'd been trying to find Kevin.

The moon shone through my window, and my clock read 1:26.

The information I had accumulated all had to do with the damage he'd caused during in his thirst for power. Injured people, ruined buildings, power outages, and cops determined to take my boyfriend down. But I couldn't be mad at him. All I wanted was for him to come back.

Feeling tears prick my eyes, I moved my laptop to the side and rested my head on my knees. Everything was so hopeless. I tried to take deep breaths, but eventually gave in to my heartache and began sobbing.

Kevin's POV:

I had originally just come here to see what she knew about my whereabouts. I assumed that she wanted to take away my power- like everyone else- and I couldn't let that happen.

I hung on her windowsill, peering in at the red haired girl, her face illuminated by a computer screen. She looked tired and disheveled, her hair a mess.

Watching her was boring until I realized that she had begun to cry. My eyes were fixed on her. I knew that I should take this moment to use her weakness against her, to snatch up her computer and be gone. But something was stopping me. My heart.

"Kevin," I heard her say through her tears with such emotion that my heart took over for a moment. I remembered the feeling of her hand in mine, the feeling of her lips, the feeling of butterflies in my stomach whenever I had been close to her.

I took out the notebook and pencil that were in my back pocket, and scrawled a note. Ripping it out, I set it on the windowsill and knocked on her window. Her head jerked up to look in my direction, and I retreated to the roof to look down on her as she glanced around. Maybe she didn't want to take my power away, maybe we could still be together. But I was still a monster.

Gwen's POV:

I glimpsed something in the window, but I couldn't quite make it out through my tear-blurred eyes. Walking to my window, I opened it, and saw a note. I looked around to see if someone was out there, but I saw no one. Picking up the piece of paper, I began to read the scribbled words:

Gwen,
If you're searching for me so that you can take my power away, then stop. If that isn't the reason, then still stop looking, coz I'm a monster. There's a slim chance that I'll go back to being who I was before. I won't... I can't give up my power. I hope you understand. I'm sorry.

Kevin

Kevin? He was just here? And he still thinks that he's a monster.

I went back to the window and said,"You aren't a monster, Kevin. I love you, no matter what." I looked around again, but if he was here, he was hiding. Sighing, I left the window and grabbed my phone to text Ben. I said: I think Kevin's at my house. Can you come over? Then, I got into bed and pretended to fall asleep.

Kevin's POV:

Once I was sure that she was asleep, I crawled into her room and looked at her peaceful, relaxed face. My hand shook as I reached over to stroke her hair.

"I... I love you too," I whispered.

In a flash, the lights were on, and something hit me in the neck. Plucking it out, I realized that it was some sort of dart. As several more pierced my skin, I growled to face my attacker. It was Ben. Vilgax was right, Ben did want all the power for himself.

"Why did you shoot him?!" A girl exclaimed. I knew that voice. Gwen rushed over to my side and supported my weight as I suddenly lost my balance. My limbs felt like lead, and my vision was blurring.

"I had to!" Ben answered. "He would've overpowered us if I hadn't!"

"You want to take my power; both of you," I growled. "I can't believe you Gwen."

At that, I wrenched myself out of her grip and jumped through the window, landing on the ground with a painful crunch. Blood pumped in my ears as I got up and ran as fast as my muscles would let me, constantly tripping over my own two feet.

My eyes couldn't stay open.