Calling To The Night

Chapter One: Humble Beginnings
---
Greed. It has been part of every culture around the world since the dawn of  civilization. From the times of ancient Mesopotamia to the modern world we live and flourish in today; greed has always left its mark no matter where you look. From big corporations looking to exploit their workers to the individual person looking to make a quick buck at the expense of someone else.

Glory to the men and women who don't allow the thought of greed to cloud their judgement. To not allow it to blind their values and tempt them to adopt Mala Fide shortcuts in life. But this also dawns the question; is greed truly bad?

Are we not all victims of an innate Greedy disposition? Be it a greed of love, peace, unity, and patriotism; we are all greedy in one way or another.
                               ---
The blaring sound of an alarm clock had awoken Jake from his slumber. Annoyed, he slammed down on the snooze button and meekly arose to the gray skies of a crisp October morning. Today is the day, he thought, as he began preparing for the job he had been planning for several weeks now.

As Jake walked through the house making his way to the kitchen; He gazed upon a letter left for him next to an unopened envelope with the words "Final Notice" stamped across it.

It's the first already? Jake thought with a sorrowful expression. Dreading the idea of opening the enormous envelope, he picked up the letter addressed to him and began reading the somewhat shaken handwriting.

Jake,
I've decided to take Annabel to her therapy season in your place. Though, i know you love being there for her during this stressful time, i feel that you deserve some time off and rest after all the work you've been doing in trying to help provide for her treatment.
        With love.
                            Mother.

Jake sat the letter down, ran a hand through his hair, and gave a deep sigh. I suppose this will give me enough time to get things ready, Jake thought as he readied his duffle bag.
He walked towards the laundry closet and grabbed his ironed 3-piece suit along with his neatly polished dress shoes.

He had seen it all over the news. Articles about a group of masked individuals dubbed "The Payday Gang" robbing several jewelry stores and banks in the Washington D.C. Area. The mere thought of something so outlandish as a group of clowns robbing jewelry stores in his small city was seen as a joke by most. But today. Today would be the day the small city of Ashland would be rocked by the news of a lone masked Heister clearing out the vault of their local bank. Today would be the day all his financial woes would come to an end.

After securing the essentials he'd need for this perfect crime, Jake picked up  the mask he'd end up wearing. It was a distinct looking mask, an old comedy mask with an exaggerated and twisted facial expression; with several red diamonds going in a checkered pattern on the right side of its face. Though, not the most intimidating mask, it was certainly one that'll leave a lasting impression to whomever comes across it. Perfect for him to leave his mark.

After securing his mask and gloves, Jake was quick out the door. Hoping to reach the bank before too many people arrived, the young Heister was walking
With a determined stride. Though, internally he was wracked with anxiety and dread. What would happen to Mother and Annabel if I were arrested? Going into a situation as stressful as robbing a bank with doubt and second thoughts isn't really the best way to handle a possible hostage situation. One wrong move and it'll be curtains for whoever happens to be in the way, Including the person robbing the place.