Chapter Thirteen - Pioneer Spine

Several weeks had passed since the train robbery and word quickly spread of the incident like wildfire. Concern over national security skyrocketed once the news cycle made its rounds on the subject.

Bain saw fit to restrict the gangs activity until things settled within the metropolitan area. This came as a breath of fresh air for the crew as they've pushed theirselves to the limit with recent escapades and required a much needed break.

Unfortunately, not everyone got the chance at relaxation. Jake spent the better part of his time training under the watchful eye of his mentor. The two worked closely together nearly every hour of the day with the occasional break when more important task needed dealt with.

The bearded heister was slowly getting the hang of lockpicking now that he had a consistent free schedule to practice. Clover was pleased with how well he followed her instructions.

During the course of their training sessions a small bond formed between the two. This initially came as an unusual surprise to the Irish woman and she didn't quite know how to feel about it.

Typically, it doesn't really pay off to form a personal relationship with the ones you work with. There was just something about the mans friendly nature that was alluring to her.

Maybe a mild friendship would form if she spent more time with the rest of the crew as well. She knew all she needed to know about them in a professional sense but never anything personal. Not like with Her former mentor, James. Her lips contorted upward.

James 'Jim' Hoxworth. That's a name that'll always bring a smile to the Irish woman's normally stone cold face. The fond memories of the rowdy Brit will never cease to bring her joy. There has always been a mutual respect between the two even if they had parted ways in an unconventional circumstance.

In truth, she was very thankful for James taking her under his wing and helping her make something of herself; even if it involves robbing easy marks.

Perhaps part of the reason why she'd taken to the younger man so easily is because she felt the need to cast a protective shroud over an inexperience  mischief-maker just as James done with her all those years ago.

Sitting at a table in the middle of the room; she watched as her apprentice fumbled his way through the various locked doors in the makeshift obstacle course. She looked down at the stopwatch in her hand and was happy to see that his time was slowly improving. This wouldn't stop her from berating the young lad, however.

"Christ, you're slower than a bloody grandma crossing the street! Hurry the hell up!" She yelled as she kicked back in her seat. An almost sadistic smile formed when she watched him jump as her voice boomed throughout the small enclosure.

Jake bit his lip and adjusted the pick quickly in the lock. Unfortunately, he applied too much force and snapped the pick before he could successfully unlock the door.

The man swore loudly and pressed his head against the door defeatedly. Clover stopped the timer and walked up to him with a stern look. "That's the fifth pick you've busted today." She said.

Jake stood tall and looked down on the woman. "Sorry.." he said in a soft tone. Clover sighed and shook her head. "Sorry isn't good enough. We can't afford blunders like this out on the field."

She pushed the man aside and fished out the broken piece from the lock. Jake frowned at having this conversation again. "Look, I'm trying the best I can. Maybe if you didn't shout at me every damn minute..." he trailed off hoping she'd take the hint.

Clover looked up at the man dead in the eyes. "If I don't yell at you then you'll never learn how important it is that you succeed. You need to block out the distractions." She dropped the broken pick into his hand and walked back to the table.