Chapter Nine: Situation

The day was bright and beautiful and there was surprisingly no cloud in the sky. Truly a rare occurrence in the normally muggy and depressing D.C. Area.

The birds sang and flew playfully throughout the beautiful blue sky. Jake smiled and felt amazing. "You know, when I first showed up in D.C. I thought I'd never see the sun ever again. I'm glad it's such a nice day outside." He said observing his surroundings.

"You should check out Melbourne if that's the case. Blue skies all year round and the best beaches you've ever seen." Sydney said proudly. Jake looked towards the chipper Australian and arched an eyebrow. "You're from Melbourne?" He asked curiously.

The Aussie shrugged. "Well, I wasn't born there. When I was younger my family and I moved from Sydney to Melbourne."

"And you go by Sydney because you have a connection to your old home. Makes sense I guess. So, what's your actual name if you don't mind me asking?" Jake said coming to a stop by the crosswalk.

Sydney looked at the bearded heister and wagged her finger. "That's for me to know and you to find out. Where's the fun in just telling you outright?" The Aussie said with a grin.

Jake rubbed his chin and thought for a moment. "It's Rebecca." He said confidently. Sydney laughed at the poor attempt. "Do I seriously look like a Rebecca to you?"

Jake crossed his arms. "No, you look like an ass. Can you give me a hint?" He asked as they crossed the street. Sydney shook her head. "That would be cheating! I think I'd honestly prefer watching you get pissy trying to figure it out." She said with a smug smile.

"I don't get pissy over anything." Jake grumbled in frustration. Out of everyone Jake had met throughout his life; he couldn't help but find Sydney to be the most frustrating of them all. But regardless of how frustratingly obtuse she can be; Jake still enjoyed the time they've spent together, however short that may be.

Truth be told it had been months since Jake felt any real connection towards anyone. The anxiety and fear of keeping his family from completely falling apart instantly washed away when he accepted his position in the gang. For the first time in a long time he felt happy.

"You're kinda proving my point if you choose to stand there brooding." Sydney said to her now silent companion. Jake snapped out of his daze and looked back at the Aussie. "I.. was thinking."

Sydney rolled her eyes. "Don't think too hard or you'll fry that little noodle of yours before we get to the diner." She said jokingly. The two heisters finally made their way to the place Sydney mentioned back at the bar.

Maxine's Good Eats. A small, popular Ma and Pa diner in the area. "This is the place!" Sydney said excitedly. She quickly walked in and left Jake behind. The bearded heister followed closely.

"Welcome to Maxine's. Have a seat anywhere you want and I'll be with you in a minute." Said a friendly middle aged woman from behind the counter side. Jake gave a nod and looked for his blue haired friend.

Thankfully, the diner wasn't too packed and Jake managed to find his target. He made his was to the booth Sydney was sitting at and sat across from her. "This place has a homely feel to it." Jake said as he picked up and skimmed the menu.

"I love this place. When I first arrived I couldn't stand some of the snobby restaurants around the city. After a while I found Maxine's and just been coming here ever since." Sydney said happily.

"And we're very happy to have you. How have you been, dear?" Came the same middle aged woman now standing beside their booth.

Sydney looked up and smiled at the kind woman. "Bit of a stressful week but I've been good. How've things been for you Maxine?" The Aussie asked in a surprisingly sweet tone. Jake looked up from his menu and raised an eyebrow at how Sydney was acting towards the woman.