CHAPTER 17 - see it as teambuilding

CHAPTER 16 -

As I woke, I felt calmer than I had in a long time. I felt at piece. I slowly got up from my bed and made my way to the closet where I picked out the days outfit before heading into my bathroom. I turned the shower on and waited for it to warm up.

I didn't remember getting into bed the night before. Of course, I remembered the first time, I remembered waking to Pietro by my side and talking to him. I remembered going to the roof, and the complete sense of content I had there with him.

I stuck my toe into the steady stream of water before stepping in, letting my body be surrounded by the warmth.

Why was he in my room in the first place? I should be concerned about that... Until I realised I wasn't. If it had been a stranger, yes, but Pietro? I trusted him. In fact, I trusted him a lot - more than most others. I had even told him about James.

Besides, waking up from the dream and seeing him there, next to me, his worried eyes looking over me... I liked it, I realised.

I stepped out of the shower and got myself ready for the day to come. I bit my lip as I picked my phone up and went into our private chat.

I slowly started to type my message, deleted it a few times, rewrote it a few times, until I decided I wasn't making it any better anyway. My thumb moved around a few milimetres above the 'send' button. I took a deep breath and pressed it.

As Pietro felt his phone buzz in his back pocket, he couldn't help but gather his eyebrows in a confused motion. He couldn't bring his phone out at that moment, and everybody with his number sat next to him anyway. Besides, of course... Veronica.

He discreetly grabbed the phone and held it under the table, ignoring Fury's prior speech about respect for authorities.

Veronica: Hey Pietro. I really enjoyed last night, and I was wondering if you'd maybe want to hang out today?

Pietro: I would love to, but I am at the Avengers meeting

Veronica: Wait, what Avengers meeting?

Pietro: The one about the box Clint left here

Pietro: I assumed you knew of it

Veronica: No, sorry, I didn't.

"How come Veronica isn't here?" Pietro asked, not realising he was interrupting a talk. The Avengers looked between each other.

"She's a kid," Natasha mentioned.

"She is an Avenger. I am sure she would like to be here," Pietro pointed out.

"We're just looking out for her, Pietro," Steve commented; "She got hurt last time she got involved."

"You get hurt as well though, don't you? As long as she is an Avenger, she will be in danger, if you just trained her so she could take care of herself..."

"That might not be for long though," Tony mentioned, facing Pietro's stare; "I'm suing her mother. Soon enough her signature won't be important. Then she won't be an Avenger."

"You are still doing that?" Pietro asked.

"You know?" Natasha asked instead.

Pietro shrugged; "Veronica mentioned it. She is under the impression you are no longer doing that. She doesn't even talk to her mother anymore, she stopped replying."

"Yes, that might have one of my demands," Tony admitted.

"They've been in touch?" Bruce interrupted.