Chapter 2: Fog

Rose pulled Cody out the perfect front door, closing it gently to not wake his parents. She dragged him along down the street and into the dense forest. Rose continued to grip his wrist as they ventured deeper. Cody looked back at his house as it faded into the distance. The air around the two grew bitter and cold, forcing both to huddle up in their jackets. The visibility decreased as they walked further into the trees. Heavy white fog surrounded them, swirling around as Cody and Rose felt their hearts beat faster than before.

    "Do you see any papers?" Rose suddenly asked, spooking Cody. "N-no.." he replied, dazed. Still holding Cody's wrist like a leash, Rose ventured further into the fog. Cody grabbed her hand, steadying himself. Neither of them could see a thing.

    The heavy, white fog swirled around them, nipping at their cold cheeks like a pack of starving wolves. "Rose," whimpered Cody, "I-I think we should turn back now..." Rose nodded, which Cody could not make out in the dense fog. They began to turn around, tightly gripping each other's hands, when Rose shrieked.

    Cody whirled around, a startled expression on his face. Rose began to collapse, her face white with fear. Cody scrambled to catch her. He pulled her back onto her feet, her legs trembling.

    Rose slowly opened her bright green eyes, the fog dulling them. "Rose! What happened? Are you alright?" Cody nervously asked. "I-I'm fine... ouch!" Rose glanced at her leg. It was sliced open and dripping with blood, censored by the fog.

    "Oh my god, Rose! We need to get you to the hospital!" Cody gasped, still holding Rose in his arms. "I... think..." Rose gasped, "...it was... that deer..." Cody looked over his shoulder. He could make out a hazy figure in the fog. It was a buff, majestic buck with only one large antler on its head. It stared blankly at the two for a second, then snorted, echoing through the woods. The cervine attacker leaped away into the fog.

    Cody grabbed Rose's trembling legs and swung her into his arms, sweating. He carried her back towards the street, the fog thinning as he drew nearer. Rose gazed up at him. "Cody... what about... your p-papers...?" He didn't look down at her, focusing on getting her out of the dark, hazy forest.

    "You're more important than some stupid papers." Cody replied, pushing a tree branch away from her face.

    Rose smiled, her leg still leaving a crimson trail.

---------------------------------------------------------
Sorry this is a shorter chapter, I just recently began revising this story and I plan to (hopefully!) continue it for a while. Stay tuned for more updates!
- Lynxx