Chapter 13

The day turned into night, and things started to wind down. The guards and the rest of the castle grumbled about being put on high alert for a threat that the crazy chaotic master said was coming. In fact while the pages sat in their dinning hall, all the pages whispered among each other saying how angry the knights were. 

"Knight Taner was saying how he doesn't even know why the king listens to the Master Damin." One page whispered nearby Sal and Jed's table. 

"Knight Kivet said that Master Damin is a crackpot old superstitious fool." Another whispered. 

Jed saw Sal's downtrodden face, and he scowled over at the pages who were talking. "Don't listen to them, they just don't understand magic." He said speaking to Sal. 

She shook her head. "I really thought there would be an attack." She said. "Maybe I'm just going crazy."

Sal stood up to discard her uneaten food. Jed called after her, but she just threw away her food and left to go visit Master Damin to apologize. As she walked through the castle, which was no longer on high alert, she saw the guards who were on duty know with angry faces. Sal figured they must have drawn the short piece of straw to get night duty. So when she passed she gave an apologetic face. 

Soon she reached the Master's corridors, and she knocked on Master Damin's door. Hanging her head as the door opened she peered through her hair to see her Master's warm face. "My dear, is there something more that is wrong?" He asked moving aside to let his student inside. Stepping in she took a seat on in her normal spot and fiddled with her hands. "Where is Gardenia?" Master Damin asked taking his seat. 

"In my room. She was exhausted, I have no clue why all she did was stay with me on the tower." Sal said. 

Master Damin gave a far off gaze of thought, but he snapped out of it and looked back down to Sal. "What brings you here, my young student?" He asked. 

"I came here to apologize." She said in a soft voice. 

"Whatever for?" 

"I was wrong." She said meeting his gaze finally. "I said there was going to be an attack, and you believed me and made the castle go on high alert. But there was no attack. I was wrong, and I'm sorry." 

Master Damin smiled at her softly and stood up and walked to the window and motioned for Sal to join him. She got up and stood next to him and looked out. "What do you see out there?" He asked. 

Sal turned to gaze to the outside and saw the sun setting and the night peeking through. "I see night coming." She said not questioning why he asked her. 

"I know you don't learn war tactics until later in your career, but I'm sure you already know when the best time for a sneak attack is." He said. 

"Night time." Sal said now following his train of thought. 

"Precisely, especially if your warriors thrive at night." He said now staring back down to Sal. "I can feel the oncoming threat now. The feeling of dread that you are experiencing, I can now feel it as well." 

Sal scrunched her eyebrows confused. "How come I felt it this morning and you didn't?" She asked hoping he would have an answer. 

He took a deep sigh. "I think maybe it's because you also have healing energy so you have a stronger power to sense creatures, or maybe it's because you have more power than me. However, it could be a combination of the both." He put a hand on Sal's shoulder. "The King knows that chaotics have this ability and he trusts my judgement, your early detection just gave us more time to prepare. So, my dear, you have nothing to apologize for."