t h r e e : f a m i l y

XX

"It's very nice to meet you

"It's very nice to meet you...Anne Wheeler."

Anne didn't know what else to do but accept Bec's hand and give it a small shake. She didn't want to be rude but she couldn't deny the fact that she was feeling slightly uncomfortable beneath his rigid, intense stare.

"Ah, I can tell you two are going to get along splendidly!" Barnum exclaimed, completely oblivious to Anne's discomfort.

"Yes sir, I think we will," Bec bit down on his lower lip as his dark eyes trailed across Anne's flushed face.

Pulling her hand away from Bec's, Anne turned back to Barnum and explained hastily, "I - I haven't made my mind up about this yet..."

"Sign-ups end today," Barnum pointed out.

"Don't worry, I'll get back to you before then," Anne dipped her head in acknowledgement. "I - I'm sorry...I - I have to go."

Barnum nodded, an air of disappointment encompassing him. "Oh well. Yes. Okay. Good day, Miss Wheeler."

As Anne tugged her shawl tighter around herself and prepared to leave, Bec, who was standing nearby, stepped forward and placed a light hand on the crook of her elbow. "I'll walk you out," he nodded at Barnum before guiding Anne towards the door.

As they stepped out into the glittering rays of the afternoon sun, Bec cast a backwards glance over his shoulder before looking at Anne. "Mr Barnum's worked hard to come this far," he spoke softly, his eyes boring into her own. "He needs acts for his show. He has some but he needs more. He's getting discouraged. He's like a second father to me. I don't like seeing him down in the dumps so if you could make this situation any better ... for his sake ... please, do so."

Anne narrowed her eyes at the impetuous lad. "My decision will not just impact dear Mr Barnum, it will impact me and my entire family!"

"I know," Bec nodded at her. "So make the right one."

Anne's mouth fell open and she spluttered wordlessly in disbelief as she watched Bec walk away.

How could someone be so good-looking yet so rude?

As she scuttled home, Anne knew that the clock of time was ticking and that she only had a few hours left before she needed to reach an alternative.

She only had two choices.

1. Give up her only chance of becoming a well-known trapeze artist to stay at home, care for her grandmother and keep going to useless gymnastics lessons.

Or.

2. Leave the whole lot behind, the gymnasium, Miss Patterson, her family, and go pursue her dream.