Chapter 12

Amber P.O.V.

My Friday shift ended at 5:30, giving me just enough time to get changed for this "date" with Andrew. We were both fully aware we were poor, cutting expensive restaurants and the movies out of the agenda. Andrew left me in the dark about the whole ordeal, something I sincerely despised. Nonetheless, he told me to dress casually and I did just that, seeing as it was really my only option. I knew better than to wear the clothes I normally wore at home because I could never let anyone-- much less Andrew-- see me in those. Instead I had dug through my chest of draws and raked enough spare cash together to get a decent outfit in order.

I didn't even have time to run home and properly change. Instead, I had locked myself in the Employees Bathroom with my black duffle bag resting on the toilet as I washed the grease off my face. Seeing as the weather was overcast, I had opted to wear an orange scoop-neck shirt with elbow-length sleeves paired with my favorite albeit worn black, sleeveless, cropped leather jacket. Over the shirt was a short and flowy black skirt with knee-high black socks tucked into my signature combat boots. Pulling on fingerless gloves, I observed myself in the gritty mirror.

My orange hair was straightened and calmed down from its usual fiery ponytail, the hints of black hidden under the layers. Accentuated eyes blinked warily as I picked out the small imperfections on my face. The splattering of un-flattering freckles, the grease-induced pimples that spread out among my forehead (covered by my hair right now), the way one eye seemed to be slightly off-center. All these flaws made me cringe but I shook it off. I wasn't some girly-girl who had to have every hair in place. Why did one simple date send me into overdrive?

Maybe it was because it was my first date. Either no guy had ever liked me or I've never realized it before, but I'd never actually been asked out. Back in school I was too busy on keeping my scholarship to notice anyone of the opposite gender. And even now I shouldn't be frolicking with a coworker in some meadow somewhere. But I deserved this. I worked hard enough, I knew I earned at least this. One shot at having a normal, teenage life. And I knew this date was going to be the most perfectly normal date.

A knock on the door startled me, dropping my hairbrush to the ground. I could hear Andrew's voice through the hard wood door.

"Amber? You almost ready?" he asked. Panicking, I shoved everything into the duffel bag. I slid my fox mask inside a pocket of my jacket in case it was needed. I almost hit Andrew with the door as I flung it open in a hurry, but he narrowly dodged the slab of cheap wood.

"Woah, someone's rather really angry or really excited" he teases. I laugh as I toss my duffel bag to the floor next to my cubby with my work uniform before standing beside Andrew.

"Sorry, didn't realize I spent so much time in there" I say with a short laugh.

"Typical girl" he jokes as we both laugh. He then turns to face me, his eyes skimming over my outfit before his lips tweaked upwards in approval "I like the outfit by the way. Nice to see you in normal clothes for a change" he says.

I nod "Yeah, I usually don't dress up like this, I don't get out a lot" I admit, looking downwards.
Andrew's hand lifts my chin and I stare up at his slightly narrowed blue eyes. "You could be dressed in rags and I wouldn't care," he says honestly and I can feel an in welcomed blush make its way onto my face.
"Not too far off with my work uniform" I joke and Andrew chuckles softly. He moves his hand so it's wrapped around me and pulls me close to his body.
"Now you promised me a date!" he says as we start walking out of the dingy restaurant and into the streets of East Gotham.

Night had already settled on Gotham City and the air was brisk and chilling. Despite the weather and time of day, crowds of people bustled around as if it were nothing. Perhaps they had gotten used to the weather around here, not hard when it was the same stormy shade every day.