Chapter 7

Katie's POV
I rushed through putting all my stuff up because all I wanted to do was just sit for a few minutes and process what just happened. I really didn't feel like going out for a big dinner but I couldn't just say no. Bryce seemed so sweet and like he just wanted to cheer us up. Hunter had to go to a meeting so it would just be us 3 and I knew if I said I was gonna stay here Tayler wouldn't go so I was gonna go for them. I couldn't stop thinking about my mom and how she would know exactly what to say. She always did. I was so deep into thought I didn't even notice Bryce knock and open my door. I think he realized by the way I looked that going out wasn't the best idea. He sat down next to me "I know this is probably a dumb question but are you okay?" he asked. "That's not dumb Bryce but honestly I don't know what to feel I'm just trying to process it all. Thank you for asking." I smiled. We talked for a while and he was also so easy to talk to and nice. "I'm gonna go tell Tayler that we can just Postmates something and watch a movie if that's cool with you?" I smiled and said of course.
Tayler's POV
Bryce walked in when I was getting ready to walk out. I forced a smile and said "I'm ready bro." I honestly didn't want to go anywhere. I just wanted to stay in and make sure Katie was okay. Moving here not knowing anyone is scary enough and then with the shooting today I just want her to feel comfortable. "Tayler we are just gonna Postmates something and watch a movie if that's cool with you. I know Katie isn't up to going out and I'm sure you're not either." My face must've shown worry because Bryce quickly said "no she's fine but I can just tell y'all would rather stay in." I smiled. "Thank you Bryce." He went to order the food and I wanted to go check on Katie again. I walked in to her room and she was just staring out the window. "Have you called your parents? My mom was freaking out." I saw her wipe a tear from her face and instantly regretted what I said. "Katie what's wrong?" She tried to smile but you could tell it was forced. "My mom passed away a few months ago from cancer." Instantly I felt horrible for bringing that up and I'm sure you could tell by the look on my face that I felt so horrible. She put her hand on my arm and said "no stop it's fine I just got really overwhelmed with everything. You didn't know." I didn't know what else to do so I just put my arm around her and we sat there for a while. It was nice. Once we both felt a bit better she interrupted and said "well I'm hungry." So we both laughed and walked to the kitchen. Bryce had just grabbed the food and put it on the table. "You like Chick-fil-A right?" He asked me. "Is that even a question?" I laughed. We all stayed up laughing and talking. Katie was so cool. She wasn't awkward and was fine with Bryce chilling with us even though we had all just met. Finally at 3:30AM Bryce gets up and says "I'm gonna go to bed bro. I'm so glad y'all are okay and what y'all went through is a big deal so I'm right down the hall if either of you need me" I smiled "thanks bro I had fun tonight." and then katie chimes in "it was so nice to meet you and thank you so much." After he went to bed I looked over and could tell Katie was exhausted.  I patted her leg to get her attention and said "you better get some rest for tomorrow." She joked "don't remind me." We walked to her room and she hopped in the bed. "If you need me I'm right across the hall and don't hesitate to come get me okay?" She smiled and said "I'm fine thank you so much for letting me stay here." I smiled as I turned out her light and said "goodnight katie. I'll wake you up when Ben calls okay?"  "Okay, goodnight Tayler." she said. I walked across the hall and laid down hoping I could get some sleep.