Chapter 5

Chapter 5
Tayler's POV
My heart dropped to my stomach. I threw my phone in my pocket and ran into the girls bathroom. Katie was standing at the sink drying her hands and she looked up and I'm sure my face was as horrified as hers. "Katie there's a shooter here we have to go." I grabbed her hand and we ran across the hall to a store. I pulled her to the back and we hid under the cashier counter. I pulled boxes in front of us so you couldn't see us at all. No matter how hidden we were nothing was gonna make me feel safe until we got out of here. Since we didn't know where the shooter was I wasn't risking us leaving. We were staying here until the police got here. I looked over at Katie and she had her eyes closed breathing hard. I grabbed her hand "Katie I'm right here we are gonna be fine okay? Just breathe." She didn't say anything but she squeezed my hand so I knew she got the message. She slowed her breathing and we both sat there in silence for what feels like an eternity.
Katie's POV
I was washing my hands and looking in the mirror trying to give myself a pep talk about this interview when Tayler busted in the women's bathroom and his face had fear sketched all over it and I knew something was horribly wrong. When I heard the words "there's a shooter here" I felt like I was going to pass out. My worst fear was becoming a reality. He grabbed my hand and we ran across the hall to a store and hid under the counter. He pulled boxes in front of the counter so we were completely hidden. I closed my eyes and tried to keep myself from having a panic attack. Tayler grabbed my hand and told me we were going to be fine. Normally when people say that I just want to cuss them out but in that moment that was exactly what I needed to hear. We sat there in silence for a while. I started thinking about all my friends and family and the last things I said to them. Would it be the last? Was I happy with that? Suddenly we heard gunshots and I squeezed taylers hand and started praying. I didn't even think about it I just started praying. I leaned in to tayler and whispered "God please protect me and Tayler. Please let the police get here as fast as they can and get us out of here. Give us the peace only you can give us and help us feel safe." I rambled on like a crazy person praying with all I had in me and then I stopped. I put my head on my knees and kept praying the police were here.