12./13. Chesapeake Shores, MD

12. Chesapeake Shores, MD
Almost Six Years Ago, In September

The inseparable pair spent a week together, finishing the last days of summer with intense make-out sessions while lazing in the grassy areas of the nearby parks, in his van, next to a random ice cream truck and just about anywhere they could put their hands on each other.

At the beginning of the week, Veronica decided to join her aunt and uncle in their vacation home in Chesapeake Shores before school started. Each day, Ethan would pick her up and they'd spend the whole day outdoors. At night, they would lay on the soft sands of the bay watching either the stars or the city lights from afar. Today, her aunt and uncle had just left for a luncheon with their friends. And Ethan hadn't called her yet. This gave her time to ponder on things.

She sprawled on her favorite spot at the beach just a few yards away from the house. She loved her little nook because of the big boulders surrounding her. She loved the privacy here. This was where she wrote most of her journals. Alone and inspired, she leafed through the first page of her crisp new notebook and laid on the beach in her skimpy, white bikini.

What to write?

Her pen tapped on the white pages. She made a silly grin as she recalled last night. They parked in their usual spot at the pier when he tried once again to untie her bikini top. But she stopped him. How she could control herself the whole time was beyond her.

"Sorry, it's too bloody hard to resist you," he'd said.

She couldn't give herself away too easily, especially aware of his reputation. Besides, she knew this summer infatuation would fade as soon as school started.

Suddenly, her phone rang.

"What are you doing?" asked Ethan's deep, dreamy voice once again.

"I don't know. I'll probably start doing some advanced reading this afternoon," she said, her eyes squinting as she reached for her sunglasses.

"Nope, we're going to a cook-out. I'll be there in ten minutes," he said.

She lay on the beach towel, the soft sands beneath her head. The effect of this whole situation with Ethan Finn was getting serious. She was getting addicted to him and it wasn't a good sign. She had to do something before it got out of hand.

She dozed off until she felt a presence block the sun. When she opened her eyes, she saw Ethan. He had his hair tied back again and was wearing a white buttoned-down shirt and a pair of light trousers. He sat next to her and marveled at her perfect body.

"You weren't planning to move at all, were you?" he smiled.

"Would you?" she said as she took off her sunglasses and looked around her.

She was right. Everything around her was picture perfect. The beach, the sun, and her sweet, privileged life. Elbows propped on the mat, he laid on his stomach and leaned towards her. As soon as their lips touched, she was torn once again. They locked in another passionate kiss, refusing it to end.

"It's Jason's birthday today. Thought you'd like to come with me," he said after the kiss.

"Yeah, sure," she mumbled. He'd talked about how his best friend, Jason Todd, sat next to him on his first day at middle school. With Ethan's strange accent, Jason asked him if he came from Paris. Since that moment, the two twelve-year-olds became the best of friends.

"You don't want to go," he said dismayed as he watched her slip into a black printed kaftan, covering her perfect figure. Too bad, it was such a pleasant distraction.