29./30./31. Kanagawa 神奈川県

29. Kanagawa Countryside

On the road for at least an hour, the taxi passed the tollway from the city district to the outskirts west of Tokyo. It was all worth the drive. The mid-afternoon had transformed into a panoramic view of an Asian Telenovela with vibrant colors of autumn just popping out from the spotlessly clear windows of the taxicab. Narrow roads decked with red and yellow trees went passed them. The view of the majestic mountains on the horizon followed them as they continued on with their sweet conversations. Nothing seemed to have changed, except that they had many more stories to share.

The car then entered a small zigzag road in the middle of a small forest. It almost felt like she could have been anywhere but there really was something about the place that made it so special. She politely asked the driver if she could open her window to smell the fresh forest air. It was magical—in a true to life Hayao Miyazaki film. The driver carefully maneuvered the vehicle as they climbed uphill and into a sea of Japanese pine trees that lined the sides of the dangerous curbs. Just peeking behind them was a breathtaking landscape of mountains and greenery. It couldn't have been more perfect.

When they reached what seemed to be their final destination (for there was no other way up anymore), they entered a wooden gateway. She curiously looked at the kanji signages, as if it was going to help her at all.

"Is this a park?" she asked, her head looking up at the huge wooden beam they passed through.

"You'll see," he smiled. Deep inside, he was so tense. He didn't know if she was going to like it at all.

And there they were. They reached a beautifully architectured ryokan on top of a mountain. The taxi driver stopped in front of the building as a steward opened the door where she sat next to. He paid for the fare while she stepped out of the vehicle.

30. ___

The couple entered the inn's lobby and was greeted by a hostess in a kimono. The yamazato inn's modern interiors were very cozy and inviting with the warm touch of Japanese maple wood around. At first, she'd thought that they were just going to have dinner there. But then, they were escorted to a lounge area with a beautiful view of the nearby forest and mountains. They were asked to wait while their room was being prepared.

"What's being prepared? What are we doing here?" she said as her eyebrows wrinkled in suspicion.

"We're having tea—" he stuttered nervously.

"And?" she looked at him with one eyebrow raised but almost about to smile.

"Then, dinner—"

"And? Ethan, why are we here?" she asked impatiently. She loved seeing him in a nervous state. He looked so innocent and irresistible.

"I booked a room here for the night. But I made sure the suite has two separate beds—" he explained sheepishly.

"Ethan—"

"I'm sorry. It's a stupid idea. I can cancel the room. Let's just have dinner then we can drive back—" he stammered. Deep in his thoughts, he scolded himself for such a ridiculous plan.

"It's an amazing idea. I love it!" she interrupted his explanation as she ran to hug him.

"Really?" he sighed in relief, as he hugged her back. He was clearly surprised!

"Yes! I wish you told me so I could've brought a change of clothes," she chided.

Hopefully, you won't be needing any.

Before he could even dare to say it, they were interrupted by a lady carrying a wooden tray.

The hostess offered them warm hand towels, two cups of piping hot green tea, and an assortment of mildly flavored rice sweets. The young couple enjoyed a few minutes gushing over the scenery behind the vast panoramic windows.