Twenty-Third Chapter

A/N: Sorry for the long wait! Home life has been busy, hopefully, my problems will clear up soon! 

People are speaking. They've been speaking. Whispering and murmuring. Even with the blankets over my head, trapping me in a fortress of solitude, the whispers still get through the little cracks and make their way to my ears, slithering in like snakes. I hate when people whisper, especially when they're right up close, their breath hitting my ear. It makes my entire body shiver, it feels disgusting. Despite being enclosed in darkness and warmth under the covers, I feel disgusting and my body hasn't stopped trembling since I woke up.

"We broke her. I broke her."

Someone sighs, I already know it's Lucinda, it's like I can hear her eyes roll and her arms cross. "Venus, shut up."

"That's Lucinda's way of saying, you didn't break her, Darling."

I hear a small crash and for a moment everyone holds their breath. Then their voices return even quieter. "Sorry. It's just...I fucking slapped her....ignored her....shit what's wrong with me?"

"You're not the only one who's fucked up. Stop acting so special." Lucinda huffs.

"What Lucinda is trying to say, is that we're all a bit crazy. Yes, you did some things deserving of blame, but not everything was your fault, we all have messed up." The Doctor reassures.

Venus deeply exhales. "What about you? You act all perfect, and now you offer advice about- when you never even fucked up as I have! This is... beyond repair. We broke Cybil!" Venus has given up on keeping her voice to a whisper.

"She's not broken-" The Doctor is cut off.

"Didn't I tell you to shut it? Don't attack her just because you're freaking out."

Venus groans, "Look who's talking! You attack everyone!"

Lucinda raises her voice to the same level as Venus. "I'm not 'attacking' people, it's called honesty."

"It's called being a bitch."

Suddenly something is slammed onto a table. The Doctor breaks the silence with a soft sigh, I can perfectly imagine the intimidating smile she's probably wearing. She speaks clearly and quickly, as if this speech has been building up, waiting to be released, "I wanted to hang back, but you've left me no choice. Venus, you're acting out and blaming Lucinda, and regardless of whether you're right about her attitude, it has nothing to do with the situation at hand. Stop looking for an escape, by targeting Lucinda, by stupidly blaming yourself over and over, and stop panicking. I know you deeply care about Cybil-"