Doors [5]

I entered the premises of the horrid place we call school greeted by an embrace that squeezed the air from my lungs.

“Hello Giselle!” Tony greeted. Tony was a special-educated kid that I had taken to formal last spring. He had been the best company and made up for my lack of dance skills. Tony was an amazing human being and one of the many people I actually enjoyed the presence of. Tony hadn’t been viewed as normal by the other students and was often out-casted from the things other students often did. People were cordial with him but didn’t hide their discomfort nonetheless. I didn’t quite understand the reason as to why they were always so uncomfortable around him. He was the same as us, his brain just functioned a bit differently. He still had emotions, feelings, and the likes. No one took them in mind, though. He didn’t deserve half of the glances of unease people gave him when with him. He was the sweetest, kindest person I had ever met in my seventeen years of life and I was thankful to have had the opportunity to meet someone as wonderful as him.

What is normal anyways? Normal means the same; at least that is society’s definition of the word. Just because we have a different way of processing information or we look a bit different doesn’t make us any less ‘normal’. We define normal as something good when in fact it isn’t. Who wants to be the exact replica of someone else when they could be themselves?

Tony was a unique looking door. His door was a bit different and a bit more unique than the rest of ours but when you take the key and open it we see something that truly astonishes us. We see a home. A place of comfort and kindness. That was Tony’s personality. That was what you found when you opened his door. Warmth, happiness and a bit of love.

“Tony could you perhaps loosen your grip a bit? You’re cutting off my lung support.” I managed to gasp out as his hold tightened before loosening.

He sent me a sheepish smile. “Sorry. I’m just very happy.” 

Sending him a similar smile to that of his own I replied, “Well I’m just as happy to see you.”

He grinned mischievously before the warning bell signaled the ten minutes we had before first period.

“Well, it was nice seeing you Tony, but it’d be best if I head to class to avoid any unwanted tardies or attention for that matter.” I mock saluted him before slinging my bag up higher upon my shoulders and clutching my binder tightly to my chest. My head held high I began walking towards my locker.

The glances at me as I walked never seemed to die down. Sometimes I wondered why people always openly gawked at me. I wasn’t anyone special nor was I the highest matriarch on the social ladder but somehow I intrigued these people in a way no one ever has. Gossip always revolves around the girl with the pink hair and the double nose ring or Giselle. Somehow my name always sauntered into conversations and remained trapped in it.

“Look there she is.”

“Do you think pink hair would look good on me?”

“I’m thinking about getting a nose ring just like her.” This was one of things I disliked about teenage girls. They always try to show someone up or follow others around resembling the likes of lost puppies. I get it, you like me, but that shouldn’t mean you should cower within my shadow. Why be me when you can be you? That was the one question I had for them. I wasn’t some special human being, I was just different and unlike others I was proud to flaunt my uniqueness to the crowds. My personality shone through me not my looks.

“Did you see what she said to Bryan yesterday? It was hilarious. Someone finally put him in his place.”

“I wish I could be her friend.” The last one caught me a bit off guard. I wasn’t an unapproachable person. Sure, I had my defaults but what person doesn’t? I had a bit of trouble making friends but if someone were to come up and just speak to me, human to human, I would sincerely take my time to get to know them. Become acquaintances at the most considering my track record with ‘friends’ wasn’t the best.