Chapter 3: The Tree

Steve's P.O.V.

My head leaned on the back of the tree trunk as I stretched out my legs onto the branch. I let one of my legs dangle off the side of the branch, as I glanced out at the town from the high tree I had climbed up. This is a little hideout I found and have been coming to ever since Nancy and I broke up and since that whole Demogorgon attack thing. It has been sort of a place where I have been trying to find myself in a sense. Because I'm not the boy gone soft for Nancy and I'm not King Steve anymore. I got knocked out of my thoughts as I heard a loud thud on the ground below me. 

"Hello?"

I let out before I heard a slight rummaging with no reply. My fingers went over the branch below me to get myself back to the bottom. Once my feet touched the ground I immediately saw the girl from the police station. She slightly smiled at me while she pulled a leaf out of her hair awkwardly. 

"Well, look who it is... we just keep running into each other."

She commented in a friendly tone as she looked down to her shirt which was covered in a combination of leaves and dirt. 

"I'm not complaining."

I replied to her statement as she attempted to wipe everything off her shirt. 

"Were you just in that tree?"

She questioned as she ran her hands down her bare arms to warm herself up. 

"Yeah... it's my.. thinking spot?"

I scrambled out as I ran my hands through my hair. 

"Oh.. do you get a good view?"

"It's a great view."

My eyes focused on her shivering while she crossed her arms. 

"Did you walk all the way out here without a jacket?"

She smiled wide at my question without responding causing me to let out a small laugh. I immediately took off my jacket to place around her shoulders. I was wearing a sweater anyways. 

"You don't have to do that its not that cold."

She said which was a straight up lie. 

"It's no problem.. my name is Steve, if you did not know before.."

"Y/N."

She let out sort of unsure about it as she put her arms through the armholes of my jacket. 

"You sure about that?"

She slightly smiled as she scratched her head. 

"It's probably my name... I mean it sounds right but... it's a long slash short story?"

"Why don't you come join me in my thinking spot and you can tell me the story."

I let out confidently hoping she would say yes as I put my arm on the tree to lean on it. She smiled as she glanced up to the tree. 

"Sure, plus climbing that tree looks fun."

I grabbed one of the tree branches while smiling to myself.

"Have you ever climbed a tree before?"

I questioned as she grabbed a tree branch and lifted herself onto it. 

"I guess I have."

She let out as if happy to know the fact as I climbed onto a branch. 

"You see that thick branch up there? That's my thinking spot."