Chapter 8: The Doctor

Your P.O.V.

You walked out of your last class of the day nervous about talking to Mr. Smith who was supposedly your best friend. The kids had a plan to stall him in his classroom to give you enough time to walk over there to see if he really was who they say he was. More like who you thought he was hopefully. You sighed as you quickly got to your locker to get everything you needed out of it. After closing it you walked along with the crowd outside where you were going to be meeting Steve. Then you turned the corner to see the middle school taking a deep sigh. Steve appeared on the side of you placing his arm around your shoulders. 

"You ready?"

He said trying to reassure you while he had a worried look on his face. 

"Why do you look so worried Steve??"

You asked more in disbelief than anything. 

"I'm not worried... I'm excited for you to get some answers on your past."

He explained to you while smiling lifting the corner of his lip in the process. You slightly smiled towards him before poking his cheek.

"You lift up the corner of your mouth when you're worried."

He glanced down at his feet seeming guilty dropping his arm off of you in the process. 

"I didn't want to say anything because it would make me seem like a bad friend."

"Steve."

You let out in confusion and worry about him. 

"I guess I'm just worried that this might lead you to where you came from and that would give you the answers you've been trying to find.. like where your home is... and it's been a while since I've had a best friend... guess this makes me sort of selfish saying this.. but I'm just worried that I'll lose you as a friend."

You watched him ramble while running his hand through his hair. An instinct smile appeared on your face with a slight laugh. 

"Steve..."

You started while lifting his chin up to face you.

"I can't guarantee that this will not change anything with us but..."

You trailed off while placing your palm over his cheek brushing some of his hair off his face. His eyes finally met yours as you gently rubbed his cheek with your thumb.

"You deserve someone... who loves you with every beat of their heart... someone who'll always be there for you and who'll love every part of you... you need someone who will treat you with respect, love every part of you, especially your flaws... you should be with someone who could make you happy... really happy."

Steve was speechless for a moment as his eyes seemed to light up as he moved a little closer to you.

"And.. um... I want to be there when you find them... that's why I'm helping you right.. to help you find your happiness again whether it be in another relationship or something else?"

You back away a little bit taking your hand off his face to tuck a strand of hair behind your ear after your comment. You did not want to leave this place because it felt like home already. You started to think about the situation before Steve placed his fingers on your chin to lift up your face to his. Both of his hands started to tuck the rest of your hair behind your ears as he smiled at you. 

"You already have."

He responded as you shot him a look of confusion.

"Hey lovebirds!"