Chap 23

[--

Bright blue flowers grew untamed around them.

With every step, their rain-boots sunk into the mud, getting stuck every now and then. They were alone here- no one around but them and the countless whispering flowers.

"paps, could you please slow down?" Sans called out, struggling to pull his foot free of the sticky mud.

Papyrus pretended not to hear him, speeding up the best he could without slipping. He sighed at the reaction, continuing to struggle to free his foot before he followed after his brother.

They were supposed to be in school. Or, at least Papyrus was. Sans had stopped going a while ago, instead learning at home-- on the days he wasn't at the labs, at least. He doubted anyone had noticed he'd stopped- he had been absent so often that most of his teachers hadn't known he was in their class. But the same couldn't be said about Papyrus. His brother had never missed a day, insisting on going even on the rare occasions that he was ill.

But today was different.

Today, for the first that they could remember, Father had hit Papyrus.

Sans wasn't sure of what had set him off. Wasn't sure of what could possibly make their father mad enough to strike out at Papyrus, of all monsters. His brother hadn't done anything wrong- had never done something that could've made him deserve it. (Unlike him.) But it had happened, and here they were, walking through an empty section of waterfalls instead of going where they were expected.

" c'mon paps, we.... you have to go to school. your teachers are gonna notice, they're going to call dad" Sans informed, anxiety of the idea creeping into his voice. He'd undeniably get in trouble for making his brother late.

Or maybe they'd both be punished.

His words finally made Papyrus pause. Sans sighed in relief, finally able to catch up with the other. He reached out to turn him around, to offer comfort and a weak attempt at healing-- and was shocked when his hand was smacked away.

Papyrus glared at him with tear-filled sockets, hands clenched into fists, " This Is All Your Fault!"

" i- w-what?" Sans stammered, taken back. Papyrus continued before he could think on it- roughly shoving him back in anger.

" Dad Only Hurt Me Because Of You! It's Always Your Fault That Hes Mad!" He shouted, glaring at him with a level of contempt that chilled his soul. That.... was that true? It was his fault when Father hurt him, it really was, but was it his fault that his brother had been hurt, too?

His eyelights focused on the darkening bruise on his brother's skull. His soul shuddered.

It was his fault.

He should've been the one to be hurt.

" i-i'm sorry-"

His apology only further upset his brother, who shoved him backwards once more. Papyrus hadn't meant for him to slip on the mud- (and he'd slipped, he Wasn't shoved)- and fall and crack his skull on one of the many rocks jutting out of the ground. But it had happened anyway. His brother seemed to pale in horror of his actions- apologies immediately flying out of his mouth while he rushed to heal the bleeding wound.

" I'm Sorry- I Didn't Mean To- I Wouldn't Of Done That If You-- That Wouldn't've Happened If You Were More Careful!" Papyrus scolded, voice high and shaky with the knowledge he'd hurt his brother. He healed the wound until it was little more than just another bruise on his bones. It was an accident, Sans knew, as he reached out to offer his comfort.