The beginning.

"This is not a test." the emergency broadcast system finishes telling everyone to stay in their homes.

Yeah. Like that's going to happen.

I shove my converse onto my feet and carefully open my window, hearing the deafening creek.

"You're going out?" I hear Jacinta, my flat mate ask.

"Yep." I say as I continue to climb out my window and onto the nearby tree.

"You do realise you can't stop me from coming with you, right?" She asks and I pause as I place my foot on the branch.

"Yep." I repeat, smiling to myself. There's no way any of us would turn down an adventure.

Soon Jacinta is following me to the streets footpath. It's silent. And honestly it's sort of creepy. Usually this street is busy as hell, but not today.

Everyone's inside their houses, probably scared to death. While Jacinta and I roam the streets bored.

"Something doesn't feel right." Jacinta whispers. I look to her and see a figure miles behind her, walking in the middle of the road.

"It's okay, there's people out here too," I say as I point behind her. She turns around and her shoulders slump down, as if she's relieved there's a random stranger in our presence.

I squint my eyes in the sun and notice the guy is walking really slow.

"Is he hurt?" I ask Jacinta, she just looks to me and shrugs.

"Sir are you-" Jacinta stops talking and takes a few steps back as the guy is fast approaching her with his arms out.

Then I see it. Pale skin, big black bags underneath it's hollow eyes, hair that's matted and ripped out at some places on its scalp, the blood all over its hands, feet and chest area. Jacinta looks to me and we both know what to do.

Run.

The only thing that could be heard was the sound of our feet hitting the concrete road. Every now and then we would look back, haunting distance from the human like creature, who seems to be limping. We're ages away from our house and there's no way we're going back there.

"What.. the hell..was that?" Jacinta asks, through puffs and pants.

"I-I don't know," I answer, looking to Jacinta and she look mortified behind me. I turn around to see at least 5 more creatures walking towards us.

"Find a house! find a house that will take us in! Quickly!" Jacinta yells, running to a house and I run to the one next door. All of them are locked up.

All but one.

It's a double story house with a large front yard and double garage. I kick the door open and as soon as we're inside I close it and place a cabinet in front just in case.

"Who the fuck are you?" I hear someone say. I look to the stair case to see two girls. One with beautiful long hair and one pointing a gun at us. Perfect.