Entry 28

Today was a dreadful day. We got news that sent all of us into a bit of a depression. We have access to some TV programs and the internet. Nothing like before the outbreak. The Global Council considers the re-establishment of communications one of its priorities. The big problem is a lack of qualified staff. The News and Information Department does not filter the news. It tells it as it is, and today was no different. It seems the fight for London is ongoing. In the northern hemisphere, winter had eradicated millions, if not billions, of the living dead, but pockets of them had survived. In London, it turned out at least 100,000 living dead had been locked in a stadium on the outskirts of the city. Someone ended up opening the gates. It was a covered stadium and according to the news it had been used as a medical centre when the outbreak started. The city was supposed to have been cleaned so how did they miss the stadium?

The result was the living dead spilled into the streets and made their way to a settlement zone which was close by. This time people were better prepared, but a lot of people died before the living dead were eradicated and the situation brought back under control. They estimate casualties to be around a thousand or so. That is a lot. The UK was deeply affected by the outbreak. It is estimated to have lost around 85 percent of its population. Some countries have lost 100 percent of their population.

They say in Mauritius only 5 percent survived. Pre-outbreak, the population was 1.2 million. It means only 60,000 people are left. Some are in Mauritius and others like me are scattered around the world. Mauritius is a liberated zone. I could go back. I'm not ready yet.