Chapter 2

Nearly seven months passed as you resided in Kattegat. Of course this meant you had celebrated a Birthing Day and were now eleven years of age. Still finding your way in the world, you were fortunate to bond with Sigurd, Bjorn, Floki, Queen Alsaug, and eventually, your Father. It took some doing, since both of you were quite the same in temperament, however, you grew to love Ragnar. The person who facilitated the two of you becoming close was none other than Floki. He had to practically teach Ragnar how to handle a little girl again before things finally improved. Naturally, your father was grateful that his friend took the time to assist him in winning you over. Especially since he had been too proud to ask for the assistance.

Though you and Ragnar had grown close, he would snipe at your advice in the same manner he did with your brothers. For instance, one time during leisure time with the family, he kept complaining about the fact that his prized sheep had yet to give birth to it's calf. Thinking you were being helpful, you naturally tried to offer some advice.

"But Father, you must be patient." You said. "It is a long process after all."

Ragnar glared at you as he nursed his mead - utterly scoffing at your words.

"But Father, you must be patient." He mimicked you. "Shut up!"

"No, you shut up!" You immediately retorted before you could think over your words

The room fell silent a moment as everyone exchanged glances. Then, almost in unison, Queen Aslaug and your brothers all burst into laughter. Sigurd barely stopped himself from spitting out his mead in poor Bjorn's face whilst Ubbe slid onto the floor from laughing so hard. Ragnar eyed you with huge smirk as you shyly smiled back at him. You had not meant to be so rude in your reply to your father but it was the first thing that had come to mind. Surprisingly, he did not chastise you.

Ragnar was an unconventional father and thought your reply showed courage - a trait he could admire in anyone, especially his own daughter. Pippa, who was seated beside you, had to hide her laughter behind her hand since she did not want the King to know she was also laughing at him.

_______________

Since you were quite close to Bjorn, when he made arrangements to visit his mother, he asked for permission to take you along. Despite her being his ex-wife, Ragnar allowed you to travel see Lagertha. He knew how fond she was of children and had even treated Aslaug's offspring with kindness. From what you had heard from Bjorn, his mother was excited about hosting you since she had been told a great deal about you. From what she knew thus far, you were force to be reckoned with despite your tender age. That was something the two of you shared in common. Especially since Lagertha had been made to prove her leadership and resolve on numerous occasions.

Needless to say, she was delighted that you had chosen to accompany your half-brother to reside in her Kingdom for a lengthy stay. Since you were only supposed to be away for two weeks, everyone back in Kattegat became a little agitated when the visit lasted longer than planned. You spent nearly a month and a half with Largetha much to the disdain of the other Ragnarssons. 'Why should she be gone for so long?' It was a question that Ragnar had to hear from his sons and even Queen Aslaug on a regular basis. Even Floki, who knew you were in good hands with Bjorn and Lagertha, began asking when you would return.