Chapter 5

The shipbuilder did not like the previous suggestion that Wessex and King Ecbert should lead the sea forces that would take the Arundel shores by surprise.

"Fine. If you are so adamantly against my father and grandfather doing it, then who would you propose?" An annoyed Prince Alfred asked.

"Either Rollo or Bjorn can do that with ease of course. Ragnar is a master tactician so he should lead the infantry and spear-men, Gunni can head the horsemen and archers. As far as you Christians, you can be the support.....and nursing stations."

The Vikings all chuckled but Prince Alfred was not amused and neither was Prince Aethelwulf.

As Ragnar stood up to look at the map on the wall again, you and Ivar entered. Needless to say, everyone was surprised to see you, none more than your fiancé.

"Y/N, why have you come here?" Prince Alfred said, not entirely happy to have you in a room full of men.

Ivar rolled his eyes and went stood by the map as he eyed the Christian Prince. He already knew that your future husband would have apprehension about you getting involved with the war.

You first greeted everyone formally. Despite being amongst mostly family and friends, you had to show that you were a well-trained Princess who knew proper etiquette. When those formalities were out of the way, you turned to face your fiancé. With your hands clasped in front of you, you finally began responding to Prince Alfred's question.

"Well, though I was not told of the meeting, Ivar was kind enough to inform me. I want to be part of the council. After all, who better than I to assist in strategic planning of our efforts?"

Alfred sighed and pursed his lips, apparently not in agreement with your statement. His father looked over at him and hoped he would make a wise decision. Typically, Prince Aethelwulf would whisper advice to young Alfred, however, not this time. In a room full of powerful allies, he had to permit his son to make decisions on his own or risk him looking weak.

"Come here a moment, Y/N." Alfred said as he walked off to the furthest side of the room.

You glanced at Gunni for a brief second as you made your way to where Alfred now stood. You could see in your friend's eyes that he was happy that you had decided to involve yourself.

 You could see in your friend's eyes that he was happy that you had decided to involve yourself