Chapter 1: Snoggletog

Skimming across a dark, wild ocean. Giant, ice-covered shards of rock jut out of the calm water. A village is seen upon a snowy island, Berk.  

This is Berk, boasting the kind of balmy, fun-in-the-sun climate that will give you frostbite on your spleen. 

The Viking village is empty, save for the smoke of early morning fires. The view settles on the Haddock household.

The one upside is our annual holiday. We call it Snoggletog. Why we chose such a stupid name remains a mystery. But with the war long over...

Inside a bedroom, Hiccup is asleep in his bed, his helmet sitting on the bedpost. There's a pounding, roaring from above. Hiccup's eyes snap open before covering himself with his blanket, trying to go back to sleep.

...and dragons living among us, this year's Snoggletog promises to be one to remember.  

The pounding and roaring continues. Hiccup sits up in bed, yawning and blindly reaches for the helmet.

"Okay, okay. I'm coming." Hiccup groggily said, putting on his helmet and getting out of bed.

Hiccup steps through the door into the cold air, shivering. It's early morning and the sun is up, but the town is still asleep. Hiccup looks up. There's a Night Fury perched on his roof. Again.

"Well, good morning, Mr. Bossy." Hiccup greeted. Toothless chortles, Hiccup mimics.

"Do you always have to wake me up so early to go flying--!" Hiccup slips on an ice patch beside the house. He flies forward, about to fall, but miraculously, and against the rules of the physical world, Toothless appears just in time to catch him.

"Stupid leg." Hiccup muttered, glaring lightly on his prosthetic leg. Toothless looks at him with wide eyes. "Thanks, buddy. I'm Okay. Yeah, we can go flying now."

Toothless gurgles lovingly... right in Hiccup's face.

"Eww, eww! What?! Eww, Toothless!" Hiccup complains, trying to get rid of the smell.

A sleek black figure shoots through the clouds to the sky above. Toothless twists in the air, swooping across the cloud bank.

"Come on! Let's see what you got today." Hiccup exclaims.

Toothless nosedives, parallel to the mountain cliff, pulling up just before he would hit the water. Hiccup hollering.

"Yeah! Okay, you ready?" Hiccup asks as he unhook his prosthetic leg from the pedal. Slowly standing up on the saddle, preparing himself for the arch.

"Easy..." Toothless is doing his best to fly with one tail fin.

Hiccup leaps over a rock archway; Toothless flies through below him. Hiccup lands on Toothless's back on the other side. Hiccup hooks his prosthetic leg on the pedal, snap of the tail fin unraveling. They are flying as one.

"Yes! Finally!" Hiccup exclaims in triumph.

Vikings scurry from house to house, preparing decorations, dragons beside them

Vikings scurry from house to house, preparing decorations, dragons beside them. In the center of the square, a "Christmas tree" made of painted wood and shields stood.

Gobber yells out to a female Viking hanging decorations riding a Gronckle.

"Here?"

"Yes, yes... No, no. That one a wee bit higher." The woman adjusts the decoration higher.

"Here?"

"There. That's the spot." Gobber said. Stoick stands next to Gobber, approvingly slaps him on the shoulder.

"Alright!"

A child in a dragon costume runs toward a Gronckle, roaring. The good-natured Gronckle roars back, sending the child into a fit of giggles.Fishlegs stands on a ladder, watching the Gronckle.

"Attaboy, Meatlug."

By the snoggletog tree, Astrid holds out a shield in each hand to her Deadly Nadder. Beside them is Ingrid on top of her green Nadder, humming while putting decorations on the tree.

"Are you ready, girl?" The blue Nadder raised her spiked tail in affirmation.

Astrid throws the shields. The Nadder whips its tail, throwing tail spikes that nail the shields to the tree. "You know it will be a lot easier if you do it like I do." Astrid commented, looking at her cousin.

"Well, we like our pace, don't we Sage?" Ingrid stated, looking down at her dragon, who chirped in agreement.

"Whatever you say." Astrid shrugs as she went to grab a shield, only to be grabbed by a orange Terror. Stormfly is about to shoot the little dragon with her spikes, but was stopped by Astrid.

"It's alright girl. There's plenty of shields left."

The orange dragon flew around the tree and dropped the shield to Agnes' hands. "Thanks Flame."

Stoick and Gobber stroll side by side around the tree, watching and admiring as the Vikings work together with dragons in putting up decorations.

"By Odin's beard, Gobber, Vikings spending the winter holiday with dragons. What would our fathers say?"

"They'd think we'd lost our minds." The two chuckle.

"Well done. Well done. All of you. I never thought I'd live to see this day: peace on the island of Berk. This will surely be the greatest holiday we've ever seen." Stoick addresses as the Vikings cheers and laugh, and the dragons roar. They couldn't wait to celebrate.

 They couldn't wait to celebrate

Hello Friends!

How's it been? I've decided to write this story since it's December and the holiday is approaching!

Also, how do you like Ingrid and Agnes so far?

Stay safe everyone!

Love,

J. M. Ortaleza