The Note

It took all night, but we finally made it to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Sam and Dean both insisted there was nothing here that could help us find Bobby, but my gut told me otherwise.

The house was rundown, beat up, but had character; just like a Hunter. Picking the lock, the brothers crossed over the threshold with me in tow.

“When was the last time you saw him?” I asked, looking through the house.

“Almost two months ago.” Said Dean.

Nodding, I continued asking questions as I noted the empty bottles of whiskey and beer littering various table tops. “Other than excessive drinking, what else did he do?”

“He didn’t…get around much.” Sam hesitated. “He was possessed by a demon and stabbed himself with a knife that can kill demons. It paralyzed him from the waist down and he’s been in a chair ever since.”

“Good news then.” I responded.

“What is it?” Dean hurried into the room.

“Can’t say if it’s true now, but it was two months ago.” I paused, turning toward a wooden desk with books strewn across in no particular order. “He’s alive.”

“What makes you so sure?” There was skepticism and hope in Dean’s tone as he came toward me.

Rolling my eyes and shaking my head I said, “Because genius, his wheelchair is gone. Why would you take something that’s a big enough hassle on its own without the intention of keeping the person alive?”

Dean’s face contorted as he tried to stutter a sarcastic response.

“So what now?” Sam asked me, raising an eyebrow at his mentally-struggling brother and walking to a dusty picture on the mantle.

“Well, it doesn’t look like there was much of a struggle in here.” I said and headed to the stairs.

“Uh, where are you going?” Questioned Dean.

“Checking upstairs.” I began ascending, but stopped when I saw the look on Sam and Dean’s faces. “Oh come on. You did check upstairs, didn’t you?”

Sam shrugged his shoulders. “I mean, it’s not like he could have gotten up there.”

“You two are useless!” Continuing upstairs, I mumbled one last insult loud enough for them to hear. “Morons.”

Sam laughed, following me upstairs. One of them creaked loudly, causing me to stop mid-step, and Sam crashed into my. “Jeez Sam!” I shouted, shoving him off as Dean cracked up at the base of the stairs. “Shut up Dean. Has that stair always sounded like that?”

Wiping tears from his eyes, Dean struggled to speak through his chagrin. “Bobby didn’t do many renovations.”

Kneeling down, I examined a long, thin crack spread completely across the base of the step. Almost as if something slammed into it. Turning my attention to the banister, I could see one of the rungs had a spider-web vein tarnishing the dusty cream color; it was the aftermath of being pulled.

“Bobby was definitely taken.” I stood up and brushed my hands on my jeans, dust falling to the floor.

“So a crack on a stair..?” Dean asked.

“Shows there had to be something that slammed into it. Something like a wheel.” Sam finished, a light twinkling in his eye.

I grinned. “Exactly! And this,” I brought their attention to the cracked banister rung. “This is from being pulled.”