Chapter 4: Return to Civilization

Thom woke up in a moving vehicle.

There were several doctors above him. He could feel he was out of his suit, and he was glad to be so, it was heavy to walk in.

‘Mr. Mandark, are you okay. Say something’ he heard one of the doctors say. He could barely speak he was that tired. But he was unbelievably glad he had escaped. He was surprised how he did it, but he did it.

All thanks to Harada.

He laid his head back down on the pillow and thought of the recent events. He felt guilt, unlike he ever felt before. Harada died to give him his freedom, was that a fair price.

His freedom for Harada’s life.

He closed his eyes once more. Only for him to open them again after not more than five minutes, and he saw a familiar face.

Hendrik Bruno.

‘Thank goodness Thom you are okay’ he said as he embraced Thom in a firm grip. Hendrik was a strong man, but Thom was glad to see him again.

‘What happened kid?’ he asked concerned.

The doctors came between them ‘sir please give him some room. He has had a tough time’ he said. So Hendrik took a few steps backwards. But did not stop looking at Thom.

‘You will be fine kid, I promise.’

Hours later he was able to stand. Doctors took a long time to examine his prosthetic leg. It was exceptionally well made they said.

Thom had learned to walk on that leg for who knows how long. A few weeks, months. Time seemed like a blur in that terrorist bunker. He was not sure how many time he wasted there, and it was hard to believe he finally got out.

He was in a military convoy. He could walk, but he had a bandage around his head just in case.

‘We are glad you are back Thom’ Hendrik said putting a hand on his shoulder. Thom smiled. Hendrik has been there for him and his sister ever since his parents died.

The door to the convoy opened.

And outside was a load of reporters just waiting to get their story. Hendrik made sure they kept their distance as he walked Thom through the path until he met a few familiar faces.

Jeffrey Boldwin came up to him and gave him a tight embrace and a pat on the back. ‘We were worried about you. Glad your back buddy’ he said.

‘Good to be back too’ Thom replied.

And then Issy came into view.