Chapter 13: mother and daughter

Song: Strawberries and Cigarettes

"Mom, I'm so sorry. I should have called. My phone died last night. I was with Jacob."

"You smell of alcohol. Have you been drinking?"

"No. Well, not today. Last night when I went out with Kayla we did a little, but that was it. And I just decided to crash with Jacob. I didn't want to wake anyone in the house up." I make up a lie on the spot.

"Okay Troye, just get inside. At least you weren't driving." She said while closing the door.

I sat through the awkward dinner and slipped into my room downstairs unnoticed after. At least that's what I thought.

I lean crosslegged on my headboard. I open Twitter and start to scroll. I'm glad we have unlimited wifi. Or else we would be fu-.

I was interrupted by the door opening. Sage pokes her head in and she asks if she could come in. I nod and she comes in, closing the door behind her. She sits in front of me on the bed.

"Hey Tok." She says, playing with her hands on her lap.

"Hey Sagey, what's up?"

"Um... I have something to ask you. Please don't be weird about it."

"Of course. Shoot."

"Are you and Jacob having sex?" She said nervously.

"Um... No. No, we're not."

"Oh, okay." She said.

"Why Sage?"

"Well... I've been with Rob for a while now. And I'm ready to take our relationship to the next level, but I'm scared." She said. "It's not that we haven't done anything before. We just haven't gone that far and I'm ready."

I hug her. "I'm so proud of you Sagey. You're amazing and beautiful. You have nothing to be worried about. Just make sure you don't do anything that you're not conformable with. I was scared with Connor too. It is a little different for me, but I was in the exact situation you're in." I take her hands in mine. "I'm so proud of you. I have condoms in my drawer give me a second." I go and grab some and give them to her. "If they're broken or it breaks, please put a new one on. I want you to be as safe as you can."

"Are you sure you don't need this stuff Tro?.'" She says laughing.

"Oh shut up," I say playfully.

"Thanks, Troye. You're the best brother ever." She whispers the next part. "Don't tell Steele."

We both laugh and she leaves my room.

I'm really proud of her, I really am. I finish scrolling social media and get dressed for bed. I text Jacob for a little bit before going to sleep. I sleep well that night.

I wake up to the smell of bacon. It's Monday morning, nothing special. Very odd.

I walk upstairs and notice Sage in the kitchen. She is cooking? This is weird.

"Why are you cooking breakfast?"

"Good morning to you too Troye."

"Sorry. Good morning. It's a pleasure as always. Why are you cooking breakfast on this fine Monday morning?" She laughs at my response.

"I don't know. I had trouble sleeping and I woke up early."

"Don't worry Sage, everything is going to be alright."

"Thanks, Troye." She said.

We sat and ate breakfast together, talking.

"I have to go to work. I love you, Sage."

"Love you too Troye, have fun."

And with that, I'm headed out the door.

I get to the restaurant and text Jacob the time I'm off so he can come and pick me up after my shift.

My shift was like any other day, boring.

Just as I was about to finish, someone walks through the door. It's Jacob with a bunch of roses.