Ch. 09

Please Allah, she begged sincerely. Help me regain my memory.

-

She remained in her seated position for another several minutes before exiting the Masjid and waiting for Hamza. He didn't take long; merely 5 minutes after she got into the car, his advancing figure came into sight. He was looking down as he walked so Laila used the opportunity to openly gawk at him. It was true that she always fantasized of having a blonde blue-eyed husband, but at that moment, nothing looked more attractive than Hamza's loose chocolate curls that she wanted oh so badly to run her fingers through. His long slim muscles enlightened a fire within her... the good sort of fire. He was almost too good to be true. Yes, she was definitely attracted to him.

In an effort to conceal her unholy thoughts from Hamza, Laila pointedly looked out the window as he slid into the drivers seat beside her. "Why is your car door messed up like that?" She asked, distractedly.

He momentarily froze before turning on the ignition. "It's nothing."

Shrugging, she continued to avoid eye-contact until she noticed the car still hadn't moved from the parking spot. She turned curiously to Hamza and found him rummaging through a bag. She waited patiently until he found what he was looking for.

"A camera?" She asked dubiously. She hated pictures; it didn't help that she was extremely un-photogenic. 

Hamza nodded, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration as he clicked the buttons on the device. "I bought this a while ago and never got around to use it." Looking up, he met her gaze with a smile. "If you don't mind, I want to take a picture with you."

The way he said it made Leila believe there was something more than simply wanting to take a picture, but she didn't want to pry. Looking into her wing mirror, she tugged here and there at her hijab in an attempt to appear more presentable. Unconsciously, she found herself trying to cover her face and froze, confused.

There was a nagging feeling in her heart that was telling her she had to cover her face. Suddenly, she was feeling too exposed.  

"Are you okay?"

Sighing, Leila sat back in her seat, resting her arm on the armrest between them. "Yes," she replied softly. "It just feels like I'm missing something..."

He immediately knew what she was hinting at. "You were wearing niqab for 2 years and had grown very fond of it. For the first few months, you would forget sometimes and go out without it, only to come racing back home kicking and screaming." He chuckled. "But after a year, you stuck to it. All on your own. I was so proud of you."

The adoration was clear as day in his voice, and Laila found herself blushing.

Without giving her a chance to protest, Hamza raised the camera in front of them, and leaned in towards her until her shoulder bumped against his. He saw rather than felt her stiffen and couldn't help but smirk. She still wasn't nowhere near being used to him and he was starting to find it cute.

"Say cheese!" Hamza sang aloud before clicking the button. A light flashed and briefly blinded the couple, resulting in Leila bumping her head against his.

"Ow..." She moved away from him and rubbed her head while Hamza laughed. "Let's take another one. I totally messed it up."

Instead of complying with his wife's commands, Hamza pocketed the camera and turned on the car. "Nope. I want the raw moments. And anyway, you're cutest when you're awkward."

If Laila's stomach wasn't being invaded by butterflies, she would've shot out a comeback. 

15 minutes later, they arrived at her house. Before they left the car, Laila tried again. "Hamza, please give me the camera. I'll just delete that ugly picture and we'll do another one!"