Chapter Seven

YUMI'S POV

I did not talk to Dustin the whole time but he still drove me to a fishing rink, just near our subdivision. When we finally get there, he unfastened my seat belt and stared at me. I stared back at him. He was so close to me, like a thumb away. We were not moving, but it wasn't awkward, I like it.

I can't manage to say anything just as then Dustin decided to break the silence between us. "Are you jealous?" He asked me.

I did not answer. Instead, we stayed staring at each other, melting each other.

I looked out the window and took a deep breath. "Drop it." I said coldly as I opened the car's door and inhaled the fresh air outside.

Dustin followed me, with his hands in his pockets.

We sat down on the grass near the river bank just as when I remembered about my picnic with Drew the other week. I looked at the clouds and imaged him kissing me in the middle of the pouring rain. It was picture-perfect.

A tear dropped on my cheeck when I remembered he's dating Vanessa. I wiped it out, hoping Dustin did not notice. I felt his arm around my shoulder. I leaned closer to him as he kissed me on my forehead. It was a friendly kiss, I can tell, and for me, it doesn't mean anything. I kind of feel like he respects me and my feelings. I can feel his comforting words even if he's not saying anything. It's a kind of magical feeling I get around him ever since.

"It's Monday, don't let them ruin your whole week." Dustin adviced.

I'm not going to admit I love Drew. I mean, not to Dustin. So I came up with an excuse like, "I'm sorry if I pushed you through this. I just felt so down when I found out he's got not time for me anymore. I'm jealous of Vanessa, yes. But only because it's her he's hanging out with now, and not me. Everything's alright, it's just that, I'm not used to it."

"I thought you like Drew."

I looked up to him, he's just staring at the river. "This has been our issue five years ago. Look, Dustin, Drew's my best friend. It's very normal for us to do things others do with the one they love. We get along like buttons of shirt. We've been together for almost 11 years now. You must understand that we're just..." It hurts to say the last word. "...friends."

This time he looked at me. We were nose-to-nose and our gazes locked, it's a very sweet thing, but not us. "I have to tell you something, Yumi." He whispered with his cool voice. I can smell his minty breath and his perfume, it's so manly.

My heart went knocking. I can't explain why I'm feeling so nervous inside. What will he till me? "Go on" I told him, still staring on his aqua blue eyes and his long lashes.

"I..." He was about to say something when we heard Drew's voice. No, it was not the actual him, but his voice on my phone. By the way,  I replaced the I'll Be ringtone with his new cover of Be Your Everything by Boys Like Girls.

I'll be your shelter, I'll be your storm

I'll make you shiver, I'll keep you warm

Whatever weather, baby I'm yours

Be your forever, be your fling

Baby I can be your everything

 His voice can really light up every sky. I grabbed my iPhone in my pocket and I can't help but smile when I read the Caller ID. I literally smiled. It was Drew calling. I pressed the green button on the screen and tried to normal my voice. "Hey, Drew, what's up?" But he didn't answer me, instead, I heard the phone beeped, noting that he disconnected the call. What's the matter with him? Ugh, I sometimes think I must read a box of pride.

I turned to Dustin. "Hey, what are you gonna tell me again?" I smiled.

"Is that Drew on your ringtone?"

"Uh, y-yes. It was him." I clutched my phone. "He was the one who set it up." I lied.

"Awww, he can really sing."

"Like father! Like son!" I said cheerfully.

I saw him went into deeper thoughts, just as then I realized it was a bad thing to mention something like fathers and sons to Dustin. "Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"It's alright. That was so five years ago. It doesn't matter now."

"Yeah," I sighed. "So five years ago, like us." I said absent-mindedly. What did I just say? Now, this is awkward. Note to self: don't spit out a single shit if you think you'll be out of toilet papers! If you know what I mean. Toilet papers as words, and I'm really out of it!

He stared at me. It was a good thing that I still managed to look at him.

"I never regret loving you, Miss Chandler." Dustin said, he was so serious and his voice seemed to be more meaningful this time.

Awkwardness level: TEN!

Yes, I knew that I was his first love, and after all, I really liked him back then. But talking about the past after how many years? This is... awkward! I'm sorry I have no more new words in my vocabulary asid from the word 'awkward' because it was really awkward!

"Uh, g-great," I told him. My mind's not working, please understand that I'm literally out of words. It felt like a page of my brain book where the must-dos for situations like thjis was tore apart.

Oh, Dustin, I never regret making you part of my life...

LSS.