Amnesia

A boy woke suddenly. He was in a large comfortable bed, in a large room, with a large window, through which the huge sun was shining in from outside. What had happened? The boy touched the bandages that were wrapped around his forehead. He couldn't remember anything. Not anything! He couldn't remember his own name, for heaven's sake. He slowly sat up, rubbing his temples. He sat there for a moment, searching his mind for anything he remembered. Nothing came. His mind was like a big empty hole.

A quiet knock sounded at the door and it was pushed open, revealing two bright green eyes behind. "Varian, I know you don't want to talk to me..." A feminine voice came from the person on the other side. She pushed the door fully open and came in. Sitting on the edge of his bed, she continued. "....But I just want to say I'm sorry for what I did." The boy just stared at her, trying to figure out a way to break to her that he had no idea who she was or what she was talking about. "Varian? Are you alright?" the girl's brow knotted in concern at the boy's confused gaze.

"Who's Varian?" He said.

Rapunzel's eyes widened. "Th- that's you!" she replied, shocked.

The boy's gaze dropped down to his hands. "Oh. I guess I forgot." He chuckled. "In fact, I think I've forgotten everything."

Dinner was very, very awkward. The whole royal family plus Eugene and Varian were sitting at the table eating a very well-prepared dinner. All eyes were trained on Varian. Everyone seemed to be in shock, except for Varian who was wolfing down a piece of ham. Eugene, who was sitting next to Rapunzel, finally looked at her in utter confusion.

"What is he doing here?" he whispered to her.

"I already told you. He has Amnesia." Rapunzel replied.

"Amnesia? Are you sure he isn't just tricking you?" Eugene warily glanced at Varian, who was still stuffing his mouth with food.

"I believe him." Rapunzel whispered back. "He seems too sincere."

"Which could be all part of an elaborate trap." Eugene said, emphasizing the word trap.

Raps rolled her eyes. "Question him for yourself."

"I will do that." Eugene turned back towards Varian again. "So.... Varian!" Varian glanced up at him, his fork full of food still suspended in midair. "What's the square root of 356?"

Varian tilted his head in thought for a moment. "That would be 18.86796225. or was it 18.86796226...."

Eugene turned back to Rapunzel with a grin of triumph splayed on his face. "There. You see?"

"Just because he's still smart doesn't mean he doesn't have Amnesia. He just lost his memories." Rapunzel shrugged. "At least that's what the Doctor said."

"OH COME ON!"