Forgotten Rivalry

Varian sat in the palace garden, staring at the horizon. Who had he been before? Why was everyone so uneasy around him? Why does Rapunzel have such freakishly long hair? These were only some of the questions running through his mind. No one wanted to talk about it though, which made Varian feel like a young naïve child.

He plucked a small blue flower from the ground and twirled it in between his thumb and pointer finger. He hated the feeling of not knowing anything. He couldn't remember his favorite color, favorite food, or even his parents. I mean, for all he knew, he could be a supervillain bent on revenge! Yeah, like that would ever happen.

In the middle of his thoughts, he was interrupted by a small chitter. He looked up to see a raccoon looking up at him with curious eyes. "Hey, little guy." Varian reached his hand towards him, "Who're you?" the raccoon just stared at him, confused. Varian chuckled and stroked him on the head. "Don't worry, I won't hurt you." The Raccoon chittered and jumped into his lap. Varian laughed. "It's nice to meet you too."

"I see you've found Rudiger." Rapunzel said, approaching him from behind.

"Who?" Varian asked.

"He's your pet raccoon." Rapunzel informed him. "You two had quite the connection."

"Rudiger..." Varian tried the name out. It wasn't familiar. Rudiger squeaked and jumped on his shoulders. Varian scratched behind his ear and smiled. "He seems to know me."

Rapunzel's face fell. "....But you don't know him."

Varian shook his head. Silence ensued; both were lost in their thoughts. As the sun was starting it's descent, Varian spoke up again, "Who was I?"

"Hmm?" Rapunzel turned to him.

"Before the accident." Varian said.

Rapunzel sighed and searched Varian's innocent gaze. She seemed as though she was waging a battle in her mind of what to say. "You were.... You are, my friend." She pulled him into a tight hug, which annoyed Rudiger and made him jump off.

Meanwhile on a nearby balcony, a shadowed figure watched the two. With a sweep of it's cloak, it twirled inside, shutting the doors with a bang behind them.