Memories

Varian stretched out on his bed, yawning. Rudiger waddled over to him and nuzzled his face. Varian looked up at Rudiger, but when he did, an image blew into his mind. Amber with a man stuck inside, but who was it? He couldn't see the details, but he saw Rudiger cowering in the background, and a shadow. His shadow. Just as fast as the image came, however, it was gone. Was that a memory? The loud strike of a grandfather clock interrupted his thoughts.

"Midnight already?" Varian murmured. "Well its too late to be thinking about these things right now." He got ready for bed, changing into his pajamas and brushing his teeth, then he crawled under the covers and turned off the light.

"So, Varian, have you remembered anything?" Rapunzel asked cheerfully.

"Nope." Varian decided to respond, sitting down at the table with a plate full of eggs and three strips of bacon with a side of toast with blueberry jam.

"That's too bad." She said, digging into her own plate of practically the same thing (except not as much).

"Is it though?" Eugene murmured, walking up to the table with a plate of his own.

Rapunzel sent him a warning glare in response. "Anyway," she said turning back to Varian, "What would you like to do today?"

Varian swallowed some eggs. "I'm not sure."

"How about we go into town?" Rapunzel suggested.

"Yeah, okay." Varian said, holding the excitement of maybe remembering something else down.

"Okay!" Rapunzel said excitedly. "I'll get Cass after breakfast."

Rapunzel, Eugene, Varian, and Cassandra strolled down the street. Vendors kept giving Varian scared or angry looks. He didn't like it. What had he done to make them so angry? Every odd look was like a spear through his heart.

As they reached the end of the street, Varian caught sight of some black spikes sticking out of the ground. Images flashed in his mind, the one from earlier, a golden flower, and a picture of the man in the amber, a woman, and a younger version of... him? Words also came with the memories, 'They...Will...Pay.' and 'Oh do you honestly expect me to be concerned about the welfare of Corona?', things he had said. He stumbled backwards and was caught by Eugene and Rapunzel. He stared at the rocks with wide eyes. What just happened?