six ; part one

"OH LYLA WILL you just hold still!"

Lyla huffed in annoyance in response to her mother who was straightening her dark brown, almost jet black hair. She looked at herself in the mirror, her breath held in as her collarbones protruded forward. On the day of the ball every year, it almost felt as if she forgot what she looked like. It was the only time of the year where her appearance would be done to the nines, her hair, makeup, and outfit almost coming from a Vogue magazine.

Her skin was milky white, but glistened softly with the small amount of body oil and shimmer that was rubbed over her body. It glowed like the stars, the glitter reflecting in the lights of the ceiling, casting a beauty glow. The honey of her eyes were now amplified with the eyeshadow her mother applied on her lids, as well as the liner to accentuate their almond shape.

Supple lips were no longer nude in color, but a darker, rosy pink that coordinated with her cheeks. They puffed out slightly, their fullness becoming more prominent with the color chosen.

It was on this night every year where she felt she lived a double life. What she would be seen as today will not reflect tomorrow, or the days to come. Tonight, she was Lyla Ophelia Darcy, daughter to Penelope and Cedric Darcy. But tomorrow, she would simply be known as Lyla, the human.

She was an equal tonight as everyone would be attending the Harvest Ball.

Lyla's almond eyes glanced upwards to meet her mothers, her mother's eyes being a dark shade of blue, the opposite of what hers looked like. They held a look of fondness and love, the look of a mother as she finished her daughter's hair, letting it lay against her exposed back.

The hair on Lyla's arms stood erect as her hair fell against her back, almost as if silk was being dragged across her bare skin. "You look beautiful, Lyla."

Penelope looked at her daughter, proud of the work she had done, and simply proud of her daughter. She grew up to be a beautiful, pure soul, just how she prayed for to the Moon Goddess herself. This was her daughter, her pride and joy, and she couldn't have considered herself luckier. She was the luckiest, and Lyla was her lucky shiny penny.

"Thanks mom. I don't look like a ratty doll anymore." Lyla joked, her mother laughing softly before running her fingers through her daughter's hair.

"Now come on, get dressed. We need to be out of her in ten minutes. We're leaving as soon as Liam gets here." Penelope kissed her daughter's right cheek before exiting her bedroom and heading downstairs to join her mate.

Lyla's eyes met her own pair in the mirror, suddenly flustered and overwhelmed. She was nervous, as she was every year, even if there would be thousands of people there. No attention would be on her, but it still felt as if every pair of eyes would be. She brushed a stray dark piece of hair behind her ear before taking a deep breath, watching her chest rise and then fall before standing up and walking away from her vanity.