nine

INTO THE NIGHT and throughout it, in just the skin on her back and a measly pair of underwear, Lyla slept on the sandy shoreline that rested beside the steep cliff-side

INTO THE NIGHT and throughout it, in just the skin on her back and a measly pair of underwear, Lyla slept on the sandy shoreline that rested beside the steep cliff-side. All night her body shivered as temperatures continue to drop, and the water on her body not seeming to dry up. She buried most of her body under the sand in order to find some sort of warmth, but little came from it.

With the wolfsbane still in her system, she was still un-trackable. Even with werewolves constantly running their rounds around the perimeter, she would blend in with the sand, and her hair looked like seaweed in the night. She was naked to the eye, even by being directly in their faces.

But as morning came, the sun remained cover as the cliffs blocked most of the rays until noon. Even with it being the break of dawn, her body still shivered as if an earthquake was rattling her body.

As she awoke, her eyes fluttered, no longer the brightness of the honey orbs glowing but with lack of luster. She wiped the sleep out of her eyes, as well as the sand that stuck to her face. Her skin was as white as ever, matching paper you'd use to print on.

Dark, purple bags hung under her eyes as sleep was a struggle to accomplish. Throughout the night she would hear the howls of the werewolves and their feet stomping against the ground. She felt sick as she dragged her hands across her arms vigorously to create some heat. But with the lack of energy she had, it proved to be too much work for her exhausted self.

Exhaustion was an understatement. Lyla's body was fighting the constant cold while barely giving her any chance to rest, as well as the constant stress and anxiety of what's to come next.

Lyla had no idea what to expect when she would drag herself home. Would the Alpha be waiting? Would warriors be waiting to take her to a cell? Why was the Alpha calling her his mate? Questions remained endless as they continued to swirl in her foggy head.

With the little bit of energy Lyla had, she pushed herself onto her feet, only to almost fall over as the sand gave no support. The soles of her feet drowned into the sand but quickly came back up as she began to walk through the sandy beach.

She clung her arms to her chest to hide some sort of modesty, even with the sticky bra she had on she felt exceptionally naked. She wasn't one of the werewolves where everyone would feel comfortable shifting in their birthday suit. No one cared. But she wasn't them.

Everyone on this island had seen the other sexes body in its full nude glory. But never had anyone seen her, and she wanted to keep it that way.

Thankfully, Lyla knew her way home as she trekked across the sand and onto the dirt ground. She shivered as a breeze made contact with her icy cold skin as the trees rustled with the wind. Slowly but surely she would make her way home to the unknown that was waiting for her arrival.

❖❖❖

With her scent still being masked, her presence throughout the woods to her home went unnoticed. Even when almost making contact with the patrols running the circumference of the island, she went undetected like a ghost in the wind.