8

Earlier this summer, Simon told me he liked Emily and was wondering if it was okay if he could ask her out. I swear, I nearly had a heart attack then and there. After everything that happened, I never thought about getting a girlfriend and I'm sure Emily never thought about getting a boyfriend. Guys have asked her out before but it never works out. I remember when she was in grade eight, she had a boyfriend who ended up moving to Hungary without telling her. And every girl I dated broke my heart.

But I trust Simon not to do that to her.

They started dating and mom started to drink less. Aaron is going to grade six in September and I joined a hockey team. Emily even started teaching piano at age 14.

But things don't automatically become sunshine and rainbows from there. Even though dad killed himself when I was eight, I still feel that emptyness I felt the days after his death. Aaron still gets bullied and sometimes he would come home saying how he never wants to go back to school. I hide sharp objects from him because I don't want him to start cutting like Emily. Emily and Simon are cute...I guess. It's wierd how my best buddy is dating my sister but if it makes her happy, I wouldn't dream of stopping it. Mom still drinks and sometimes she would come home drunk as hell.

But things are getting better.