{31} Sketched Hearts

"he definitely likes you"

I grabbed an apple as I passed the kitchen, almost slipping because thin socks supported my feet. I ran to the door and put the apple in my bag, then ran back into the kitchen to see my father flipping pancakes and my mum sticking her head in the fridge. Father had just came home last week from his month trip to France and as promised, was back for the next six or seven months.

I swiftly hugged my father, muttering a soft, "Good morning and see you later." and did the same for my mother, but instead, I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

I practically skidded across the hallway to where my bag was and began tying up my shoelaces on my old shoes, deciding to not wear my new converse today. Just as I opened the door, my mum's voice rang from the kitchen. "Remember, you're walking with Sam."

I closed my eyes, breathing out an annoyed sigh. First my stupid alarm died and now I have to tag an extra person along. Thank God I actually set my alarm on my phone or else I would still be in bed. School has started again and majority of my time between the ice-cream parlor situation and now was spent with me being locked up in my room completing any assignments or homework.

So I actually didn't speak to Sam at all and now I was expected to have a five minute conversation with Sam every day in the mornings and afternoons for the rest of the year.

"Do I have to knock?" I shouted and pulled my bag over my shoulder, standing still waiting for mother's answer.

"Yes! And remember to say good morning and be polite! Make sure you say hello to his mum for me."

"Thank you, bye!" I yelled back and walked out the door and locked it.
Now I have to knock and greet his mother too.

Walking through the front gate, I was greeted by strong smells of colourful flowers of all different shapes and sizes. The were planted neatly in two rows next to the curved footpath that reached the steps to the door.
Surrounding the flower pots were white pebbles and there were two patches of grass on either side of the path.

As I walked closer to the door, I could see a little girl sitting on the steps. She was looking down at something with a pencil in hand. I eventually realised that it was Suri. Her hair was tied in two pigtails, which trailed over her shoulders and a few inches downwards. A denim jacket was pulled over a bright pink shirt which was glittered with small flowers and the rim and a purple skirt covered her black tight adorned legs and black flats covered her feet.

"Morning Suri." I approached her, deciding to be social today.

It seemed that she was as nervous as I was because her lips were also dry and bitten and her hands were wrung together in her lap.

She didn't say anything and only stared at me, dropping her pencil on the small notepad she had.

I plopped down next to her. "Are you excited for school?"