{38} Sketched Hearts

"sammy will get upset with me too"

Today was one of those quiet days where simple currents of the warm wind drifted by, lightly ruffling the tree branches. The sun rose early and was perched in the sky, surrounded by pure cotton candy clouds which danced around slowly. My denim shorts and random t-shirt allowed the warm air to tickle my legs and arms that were left bare due to the hot summer weather. I left my feet bare as I wandered around on the soft grass, trying to find some sort of inspiration to spark my urge to sketch.

I found a nice shady spot under the lemon tree and began sketching the leaves of the rose petals across from me. I hadn't sketched in a while and it felt so calming when the lead of the pencil scraped gently against the thin paper.

Sighing, I breathed in the fresh air and focused on my drawing.

The shape of a face began to appear but I couldn't continue because a soft and childish voice spoke through the silence.

"Iris."

A soft and childish voice broke my concentration a few minutes later. I had almost completed one of the rose petals. I turned my head swiftly to try to find the voice. The voice revealed the be Suri's, who was leaning on the fence with her head peeped through one of the bars.

I smiled instantly, dropping my sketchbook on to the floor and standing up to greet her. "Good morning Suri, how are you?"

I leaned over the fence to see that it wasn't as high as I thought it was, "Do you want me to carry you over?"

Suri smiled cheekily. "Yes, please."

I stood on my tippy toes and brought my hands under her arms, pulling her over the fence and down on to the grass.

I couldn't help but grin at her cute face and her attire. I assumed she had only just woken up although it was eleven now because she still wore her pyjamas. It was one of those traditional pyjamas where the pants and buttoned up top matched with different kiddish patterns or images. Suri must have been a fan of the movie Frozen so a picture of Elsa was imprinted on the front. And she was also barefoot like me.

"So what are you doing out here?" I asked Siri who only glanced around at the front yard.

She shrugged. "My older sister is at work or school and never comes home anymore so I have no one to play with."

"Oh," I replied. "What about your older brother? Are you guys not close?"

Suri shook her head. "We are close. He's just upset in his room."

My brows furrowed. "Why?"

"He said you didn't say yes to him and now he's sad," Suri explained sorrowfully, playing with the edges of her pyjama top.

"What?" I asked, extremely confused.

"He said you didn't say yes to him and now he's sad," she repeated but this time looking at the floor and murmured, "I shouldn't have told you. Sammy will get upset with me too."