One

“You hate me.”

“I don’t hate you.”

“You should hate me. I give you every right to hate me.”

“Not going to happen.”

“It’s your senior year.”

“Yes and just look at this enormous farewell party that has gathered in my honor,” I gestured to the empty yard as my dad loaded the last of our bags into the back of the minivan.

“You’re right,” he said as he slid the door closed, brushing his palms against the back of his legs before clapping them together. “You should get out more.”

“I’ll be sure to do that once we’re all settled in dinosaur country.”

“Hey, your mother is excited!”

He opened the driver’s side door as I settled into the passenger seat, situating my messenger bag between my feet before digging out my notebook.

As much as I loved Kansas City, I was excited for this move. We’d never lived anywhere small and from what I had gathered, Glen Rose was practically destitute. The high school was desperate for a new Physics teacher and my mother was more than happy to pack up her home office for somewhere as “quaint” as this tiny Texas town.

“I miss her already,” I laughed, watching my father attempt to program the GPS. I pried it from his hands, setting the location with the address he had written on the back of his hand, and situated the device on its dashboard stand.

I stared at our house and its fleet doppelgangers that surrounded the neighborhood one last time as my dad flipped the car in reverse. I didn’t wave at any neighbors as we passed or shed any tears. I just flipped open my notebook and began doodling around the margins.