Fourteen

Wa-Bam! Sorry for the wait, but I hope it was worth it! :) Three chapters coming up and then, once again, there will be a bit of a wait ... Sorry! Hope you like. 

*******************************************************************************************************

Whenever Lonnie used to come to town, “dentist appointment” would be my mother’s excuse for kidnapping me for the day. The two would keep me in the dark all day, telling me we were going to the dentist, even though I knew this to be a lie, and surprise me with something like a day at Worlds of Fun or some other excursion.

“So where are we going today? Huh?” I bugged Lonnie the entire drive back to my house, but her response was always the same.

“We’re taking you to the dentist!”

We met with my mother, switching to her car, and I rode in the back seat for over an hour before I realized we were in Dallas.

“So my dentist is in Dallas now?” I asked when we pulled off of the interstate.

“Yes, hush your mouth!” Lonnie snapped from the passenger seat.

We drove for another twenty minutes through town, my mom and aunt quietly arguing about the GPS being wrong, and I finally spotted what they were looking for.

“Six Flags?” I shrieked. I’d never been, but I was a rollercoaster fiend. “Please say yes, please say that’s where we’re going!”

“I’m sure we could find a suitable dentist there,” my mother shrugged, pulling into the gate.

Lonnie and I rode everything, my mother only taking part in a few of the rides and eating whatever she could get her hands on.

“Your dad is going to be pissed,” Lonnie laughed around three o’clock.

He was never really “pissed” about our trips as much as he was jealous that he wasn’t able to come. He would probably spend the evening pouting once we got home, but my mother learned to bring him back some kind of souvenir from the day to appease him.

“This has been the best dentist appointment ever,” I told my mom, hugging her.

“I’m glad you had a good day, honey,” she smiled, hugging me back tight.

We went to find lunch then and on the walk to one of the cafes I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket.

“Hang on,” I told them when I saw that the call was from Sam. I stepped to the side, still walking slowly behind them.

“Hello!” I couldn’t contain my excitement when I finally answered, it had been such a good day that I was just happy all around.

“Well hey,” he laughed on the other side of the line. “Good day at school?”

“Great day at Six Flags,” I corrected him.

“So your aunt came to town today?”

“Yes, so she and my mother abducted me from school and brought me here,” I explained.

“I won’t keep you, then, I was just going to see if we were training or if you were busy,” he said.

“I can’t today, but you’re still going tomorrow night, right?”

“Yep, though I do need to know what to wear.”

“It’s pretty casual, I think. I’m wearing a dress, but it’s not like its prom or anything.”

“Got it, I’ll figure something out,” he sounded like he wanted to say something else, but stopped himself.

“What are you doing tonight? Would you maybe want to come over for dinner?”