ten

When I got home it was almost ten. I found my parents cuddled on the couch watching TV, the lights off and a bottle of wine in between them.

I plopped down beside my mom, tugging the wine out of her hand and drinking from the bottle.

“Did you have a good night?” she asked, sleepily. They both turned their heads a bit to face me and I nodded.

“He seems like a nice boy,” my father said, looking back toward the screen. “Are you seeing each other?”

“Not the way you’re implying,” I shrugged, taking another swig of wine from the bottle. “We’re just good friends.”

“Let’s get a glass,” my mom said, sitting up and pulling the bottle out of my hand. I followed her in the kitchen, knowing she wanted to talk, and sat at the table. She grabbed two glasses, filling them with wine and sitting opposite of me. “So?”

“So? What?”

“Don’t you what me,” my mom said, pointing her finger in my face. “Who’s this boy?

“He’s a friend, mom.”

“A very attractive friend,” she took a long gulp, finishing her wine and topping off our glasses.

“Is that not allowed? He’s easy to be around, that’s all.”

“A boyfriend wouldn’t be so bad,” she laughed. “I think your dad might like it if he had another guy to hang around.”

“You’re right. It’s not like that though,” I sighed, looking at her, wishing I could explain. Sam was training me. He wasn’t wooing me or into me. It was fun to be around him, I liked it more than I probably should, but that didn’t mean anything.

“I just want you to know, we’d be okay with it. He seemed great and he’s crazy if he isn’t interested in you.”

“Mom—”

“I mean it, Nor.” She looked at me sternly as I gulped down my wine. “You’re beautiful, you’re smart, a bit of an asshole sometimes, but if you like this boy, you should go for it. He’d be lucky to have a girl like you.”

“Thanks, mom, but I’m being honest. There’s nothing there. We’re just buddies.”

So I wasn’t being completely honest, but come on? What chance did I have? From what I could tell, once someone was matched, their hearts were pretty much vacant for anyone else. If Sam had waited this long for his match, what would make him stop now?

No matter what my hormones or my head seemed to conjure during our time together, he was a taken man and I would have to wait until my time.

“You’re just such a gorgeous girl, Nora. I want to make sure you know that.”

“You’re so drunk!” I laughed finally seeing it in her eyes. “I’m going to bed, mom.”

I stood up and my mom did as well, laughing a little bit.

“I’m not drunk,” she rolled her eyes, downing the rest of her wine. “I am a little buzzed, so goodnight, babe.”

I met with Sam the rest of that week, giving my Friday afternoon to Thomas. I hadn’t spent much time around him and only saw Nate, Serena, and Paul at school.

I went to their house just before four, knocking at the front door when I heard laughter from the backyard.

I walked around, opening the back gate and wading around the garden to where I spotted Paul and Serena. Serena had a water hose in her hand and was drenched, whereas Paul was ducked behind the bushes, yelling in surrender.